Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
katfishin

New Reel

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hi guys i have come looking for some information. I am in the market for yet another new setup. I want a reel i can work some gotcha plugs and stingsilvers and what not. I will also use it for a flounder rig. Want a 9 foot rod. I have a old abu 4600C4 mag. Great reel just looks silly on a 9 foot rod. Thanks for any help.

Aren't gotcha plugs extremely lightweight? Are you only interested in conventional reels, or would you be open to using a spinner? I ask because I'd think that any conventional that can throw a gotcha is going to need to have a very small, light spool, so the "looking silly on a 9 footer" thing might be unavoidable.

Then I'd be focusing on spinners if you're gonna be throwing really light stuff. Any idea what line you'll be using, and how much you want to spend?

You said flounder, is this outfit going to be used on a boat?

View Posti wana use around a 10lb maybe 15lb. Doubtfull it will get used from a boat.

Braid or mono?

What is the maximum weight the rod will need to throw?

Will the reel be getting splashed, dunked, submerged?

I'm betting you've held on to the 4600C4 mag because it's a sound piece and easy to maintain. Why not step up to a 6500C4. There are very nice used ones around that can be had for a very reasonable price. If you decide to upgrade internal parts that'll be accomplish quite easily. The internal workings of both reels will be nearly identical and you can fish something like 16lb mono, 20 or 30lb braid on it and get go deal of line on it. C4s have a 6.3 to 1 ratio so it'll be plenty fast. The C3 models are 5.3 to 1 and have a little more cranking power. ABU also makes winch gears that are around 4.1 to 1 as I recall if your just looking for cranking power. The rocket models come with 5.3 to 1 gears and are best for a mag upgrade because the left side plate is flat with a tension cap. Thus the reel can be retrofitted with a central mag or a knobby mag. Such a reel in the 6000 series will suit you needs perfectly and will throw a grand cast when the conditions dictate it. It'll also handle a striper, blue or nice weakfish should one volunteer. Google Foran he has lots of answers.

Tight Lines, Rich

Halcyon you right. I love my 4600C4 she is close to 7 years old. Just polished the shaft and some other high friction places. Shes a dream now. Just would like to have something a little bit bigger

Never been much into jigging. To be honest never really tried it. Mainly something to work some spoons while i got my 525 out soakin. I looked at both the 6500 and 6600 and i must say i like what i see. How are they at throwing spoons say around the 1oz range

For my money the 6000 series is shines from 5/8oz. to about 2oz. I have several 6000 and 6500 reels that are dedicated to different fishing conditions, that is boat fishing, shore fishing, distant work and trolling. Monterey Bay has it's challenges. I just finished setting up a 6501TGC for a friend who has a boat who takes me out every once in while.

He's really jazzed to have a left hand crank conventional. I rather prefer the lefties too.

Regarding line choice, if you're at all worried about professional over runs, as we like to call them, start with mono somewhere between 14lb and 17lb. I like to fish my 6000 series reels with 15lb or 20lb braid with fluorocarbon leader the same test as the braid about 3 times the length of the rod I'm using. I use a lighter terminal leader with a swivel tied to the shock leader and all kinds of different terminal rigs and artificials.

If you get a rod that doesn't have too soft a tip you be able to work jigs quite well. Jigs worked along the bottom slowly by lifting a twitching like teasing a cat can produce some grand results. I got a 20lb halibut a few weeks ago using this technique.

I'm not much for showing of or posting photos but I'd be glad to send you an attachment of the fish via Email if you're interested.

What will your rod be?

Will you be fishing from shore mostly?

Tight Lines, Rich

halcyoncustomfins@hotmail.com