Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish Hunter

Which Jeep Cherokee Sport

19 posts in this topic

I'd look for one from 1997-2001, just cause I like the look of the later model years better. Other than that there all decent, I'd stay away from older xj's with the 4 cyl's and 2.8 v6's.

The '00-'01's have a tendency for the cylinder head to crack causing issues. Its not too common but it is the biggest issue for engine problems in the XJ cherokee. If I were you I would look for a '98 or '99 with good mileage and well maintained. Get one with the part time 4wd transfer case, not that "full time" crap. Make sure you check to see if the A/C and the heat both work. The Cherokee is notorious for A/C problems. . . . my A/C doesnt work anymore, need to fix that lol

View PostThe '00-'01's have a tendency for the cylinder head to crack causing issues. Its not too common but it is the biggest issue for engine problems in the XJ cherokee. If I were you I would look for a '98 or '99 with good mileage and well maintained. Get one with the part time 4wd transfer case, not that "full time" crap. Make sure you check to see if the A/C and the heat both work. The Cherokee is notorious for A/C problems. . . . my A/C doesnt work anymore, need to fix that lol

I fixed mine right before the summer hit.

Junkyard compressor for $75, Works great!

View Post99 or earlier. 00-01 have a problem with the exh manifold. search "heat soak" for jeep cherokees.

They all have "heat soak" problems. All that means is the engine bay gets very hot and raises the temperature of the incoming air. Hot air = less dense = worse performance and mileage.

The '00-'01's have a issue with the cylinder heads cracking. Thats the big issue

Heat soak causes fuel in the rail to atomize and causes rough running and starting until that fuel is burned. I have the problem once in a while in my 01. I have not had the exhaust manifold problem though. I would definitely not avoid the 00 or 01 years.

From a transfer case standpoint, the NP 231 has 4H, 4L, N and 2. The NP 242 has an additional range that allows for part time use, such as crossing over sections of dry road and snow, dirt, etc. The are both very good.

The TRIM levels are the differences on the models, such as the Laredo, Classic, the Limited, the Country, etc. The Country model is supposed to have a bit higher clearance, 17.5 measured from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender flare. The other models have 17 inch clearance. The Country also adds a rear anti-sway bar which is not found on the other models.

The 4.0L HO engine, coupled with a AW4 auto trans and a NP231 xfer case, mated to a Dana 30 front diff and a Chrysler 8.25 rear diff are very common, but remember that Jeeps could be ordered with any number of combinations, including heavier duty Dana front and rear diffs and either xfer case, or a manual trans.

View PostThe Country also adds a rear anti-sway bar which is not found on the other models.

I have a '00 Sport and I had, repeat had, a rear sway bar. Took it off when I did the lift, its not necessary. Also for the '97 and up I dont believe there was a "Country" trim package, there was the base SE, the Sport, the Classic, and the Limited. IIRC there was a "Up Country" package that was available that gave you a slight lift and a couple other things but that was available for the Sport, Classic, and Limited models.

The 242 transfer cases have many many more issues then the 241's so I would definitely stay away from a Cherokee with any "full time" 4wd feature.

I've got a 98 and a 2000. When your looking, those are good boundries to stay in. Things you need to watch are for small misses when running. That could indicate a cracked cylinder head. Also AC can be a problem. These two items can run into some big dollars. Don't be afraid of high mileage if they have kept good service records, cause they will run for quite awhile. My 2000 has 256K and is still running fine. Good Lucksmile.gif

View PostThey all have "heat soak" problems. All that means is the engine bay gets very hot and raises the temperature of the incoming air. Hot air = less dense = worse performance and mileage.

The '00-'01's have a issue with the cylinder heads cracking. Thats the big issue

the warm engine bay air heats up and vaporizes the fuel in the injection rail line. thus causing a misfire (p303) or a code very simiar. when you re start the engine after a short stop while the engine is hot this is very common. lots of guys pop the hood for the stop, or install spacers where the hood hinges are to allow the hot air to excape.

Or install vents in the hood. My '00 has not exhibited that kind of behavior since I have owned it and the temperature here this past summer was in the 100's for a while!!

ive been down this road on many jeep sites. sometimes vents work sometimes not so much. too much a risk for me to cut the hood open on something that may not "fix" the issue. its a design flaw that imo should be a recall on the whole engine.