Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThatSlyBasstard

How to Safely Handle a Bass

22 posts in this topic

you often see the "pros" on tv doing this, exaggerating the size of the mouth I guess... never understood those meatheads cwm13.gif ...

View Postyou often see the "pros" on tv doing this, exaggerating the size of the mouth I guess... never understood those meatheads cwm13.gif ...

Worst is when not only are they holding it horizontially but shaking it while they are screaming.

/but BASS/FLW care about the fish..............yeah right.

Also there is a great deal of people laying bass on the ground(pavement, sand, rocks) which removes the protective slime off their scales. I have stated this in the past but I don't think anyone listens. If the fish is laying on a wet surface it isn't that bad but still should be avoided at all costs. Also I always see people out on the water doing surgery on bass for way too long. Cut the the line as close as possible to the hook. The fish has a better chance of surviving this way. Don't try and pull the fishes insides out since you are too lazy to retie. And finally why the f**k are guys keeping fish in a livewell all day to take pictures of their "double headers" even when they are not fishing tournaments.

The first is the correct way to hold a bass smile.gif, the second, well... not so much. Even them little guys can get hurt frown.gif. Which means they WILL NOT grow up to be the big guy in town.

This is why I always make it a point to hold any bass I catch vertically to the ground while taking the hook out....no bending of the mouth, flexing of the mouth muscles.....the point is to catch them again when they are hawgs!

Good post with diagram...not enough people know this!

View Postyea im not sure it does much or any damage to sub 1lb bass but when they start getting weight there is much more stress on the jaw.

Im pretty sure the strength of a small fishes jaw is a hell of a lot less than a large fish, so it would still harm them

View PostIm pretty sure the strength of a small fishes jaw is a hell of a lot less than a large fish, so it would still harm them

It does do less damage because they do weigh less proportionately. But at the same time, it still has the potential to do some damage. Their mouth is a lot weaker than a larger bass

View PostThis is why I always make it a point to hold any bass I catch vertically to the ground while taking the hook out....no bending of the mouth, flexing of the mouth muscles.....the point is to catch them again when they are hawgs!

Good post with diagram...not enough people know this!

Wouldn't that be worse than holding them just by the mouth? I mean holding them vertical puts more stress on the mouth than the angled hold. It would be like holding a person by their mouth. I always try to pick them up horizontally this way the weight is towards the middle of the fish.

View PostWouldn't that be worse than holding them just by the mouth? I mean holding them vertical puts more stress on the mouth than the angled hold. It would be like holding a person by their mouth. I always try to pick them up horizontally this way the weight is towards the middle of the fish.

By holding them vertically, you aren't stretching the muscles out. Their bones are strong enough, so that isn't the problem. Imagine someone held you by your jaw vertically, taking away from the fact that you way probably over 150 pounds and your bones would break, it wouldn't be that unpleasant. Now imagine someone stretched your mouth out 3 times more then you can open it.

A bit painful no? cwm27.gif

View PostBy holding them vertically, you aren't stretching the muscles out. Their bones are strong enough, so that isn't the problem. Imagine someone held you by your jaw vertically, taking away from the fact that you way probably over 150 pounds and your bones would break, it wouldn't be that unpleasant. Now imagine someone stretched your mouth out 3 times more then you can open it.

A bit painful no? cwm27.gif

How the hell would that not hurt ?headscratch.gif

i dont know if i agree with the whole 95% mortality rate by holding a fish from its jaw. i will be more careful now that you may have raised my awareness but with the amount that people ahve and do hold fish by their jaw , @ 95% mortality rate i would think you would see floaters all over the place, think of a place like squan resevoir or lake hopatcong, with the amount of pressure they recieve on any given weekend. dont say that all fish sink when they die either because that is not true either.

there were some mortality studies i remember reading the conclusions from a few years ago and the biggest thing noted in terms of accalerating mortality was removing slime and deep hooking. i know you have the photo above which is nice and all but do you have a link to the findings from the study performed?

if you tell a lot of beginners that supporting a fish by the belly is better than lipping i think a lot of people are going to remove llots of slime while "safely" postioning the fish. .02

View Posti dont know if i agree with the whole 95% mortality rate by holding a fish from its jaw. i will be more careful now that you may have raised my awareness but with the amount that people ahve and do hold fish by their jaw , @ 95% mortality rate i would think you would see floaters all over the place, think of a place like squan resevoir or lake hopatcong, with the amount of pressure they recieve on any given weekend. dont say that all fish sink when they die either because that is not true either.

there were some mortality studies i remember reading the conclusions from a few years ago and the biggest thing noted in terms of accalerating mortality was removing slime and deep hooking. i know you have the photo above which is nice and all but do you have a link to the findings from the study performed?

if you tell a lot of beginners that supporting a fish by the belly is better than lipping i think a lot of people are going to remove llots of slime while "safely" postioning the fish. .02

I would tend to agree Brian... that sounds a bit high. I know its best not the touch them at all, leave them in the water while unhooking... I also think the bigger they are the more care they demand