Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
demonfish

Riverhead beaches closed to 4x4

10 posts in this topic

Thanks to the state parks on the east end and the millionaires on the west end, you can no longer bring your truck on the beach. Call NY state rep. Marc Alessi and tell him to get the parks to change the rules. This is vacant parklnd which has no plans on being developed for years to come. Horse people have pushed and got permission to rie their horses on the property and the beaches. Time for us to push. Marc Alessi is up for elecion this year.mad.gif

I am new to the Beach Buggy thing and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a nice area to fish with the kids. My kids do not go crazy and are very respectful. I have a 99 Yukon and the Empire Pass and The 4x4 Permit. I know its busy right now at the height of Striper season. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Now Riverhead will have "no trespassing" signs on both ends of its L.I. Sound beaches.

The state parks department has just issued a master plan for the Hallock State Park Preserve, which takes in Riverhead's easternmost stretch of Sound beach, that bans vehicles from driving on the beach.

Analysts for the state office of parks, recreation and historic preservation dismissed the request of local surf fishermen for continued motor vehicle access to about a mile of shoreline fronting the former KeySpan property, acquired by the state in 2002.

While the Riverhead Town allows vehicles on its beaches by permits issued under Chapter 48 of the town code, "[t]his code does not apply to State Parkland," the state agency's master plan states. "Under the public trust doctrine, residents are still allowed to access the beach at Hallock State Park Preserve from the adjacent Riverhead beach, but they may not do so with a motor vehicle or other motorized craft (beach buggy, ATV, etc.)."

On the opposite end of town, a group of Wading River residents has been objecting to vehicles driving on the Sound beach in front of their homes. They've posted "no trespassing" signs and brought a court action against the town to stop the four-wheel-drive vehicles from traversing the beach.

"I'm not very happy about this," said Ken Densieski, president of the East End Surf Fishing Club. "These people come in and they acquire this land and right away they own the beach," he said. "It's not right. It belongs to the people,"

The park master plan prohibits all motor vehicle access to the beach, except for emergency vehicles. Scuba divers and boaters will be required to drop off or carry their equipment and nonmotorized water craft to the beach, according to the plan.

Horseback-riding fared better in the state's final plan. Equestrians will continue to be allowed to to use the 225-acre park, as well as the beach in front of it. Park trails will be open to horseback-riding in spring and fall, by permit only. The draft master plan did not allow for horseback-riding on the beach. The parks agency was not aware that was an ongoing activity, according to the final plan.

"We're very, very happy that they listened to us and will continue to allow that," said Angela Chewning, president of the East End Livestock and Horseman's Association. "We're very excited that we'll be able to continue to ride on the beach."

The master plan, issued Oct. 21, envisions the eventual development of a network of hiking trails, a parking area and an environmental education center. It does not provide for a bathing beach on the site.

New York State purchased the 533-acre site from KeySpan for $16 million in a deal announced in November 2002. About 300 acres were dedicated to continued active agricultural uses, while the remaining acreage, including about a mile of Sound-front beach, were to be preserved as a park.

In the 1960s, the site was targeted by the Long Island Lighting Company for development with a nuclear power plant. Those plans fizzled as the utility ran into massive opposition against the Shoreham nuclear power plant.

This seams to be a new trend all around the island. just not right for a miserable few to ruin it for everyone else. with all the restrictions we have and money we dole out one would think some of the money would be used for enforcement to keep the inconsiderate few in line.

Before LIPA it was LILCO and was gonna be the site of the 2nd and 3 rd nuclear plant for the island. Shoream was the first. But before that it was Levon industries. They were gonna sand mine and cut a huge boat basin into the land forming a seaport industrial park. Trouble was the sand had clay mixed in and they went bankrupt. But not before building two jetties which till this day continue to mess up and erode the bluffs west of Mattituck. The jetties were removed to the water line but are still there under water. The property was eventually made into Jamesport State Park. The front section on Sound Ave. became Hallockville farm museum.

Hallock State Park Preserve is going to be developed for easier public access and multiple uses. It will take 12-15 years to do it all. You can access it from Iron Pier beach in Riverhead but not with a truck.

Wading River Beach is the hot button access issue in Riverhead at the moment. It is currently in court to figure it out with the Town of Riverhead being the Defendant. Kudos to them.

The Shoreham Plant is in Brookhaven Town. It has been suggested as public use parkland but if it does happen it will be a long time coming.

Welcome to the same world of $#it we're having to deal with @ the OBX.

Politicians + Environmentalist = ***?

My grandfather always told me that ignorance was a dominant gene. I just never knew how dominant?

This has nothing to do with environmentalists. This has to do with property owners that think they own the Long Island Sound. The politicians are the ones fighting for us in court.

The state park is a non issue. There never was driving access and the state has plans for the beach as a multi-use park. INCLUDING fishermen.