Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lou574

Making a reel manual by removing springs

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I have a question about making a reel bailess by removing springs...I have 704 greenies, and 710's...I know you can make them manual by removing the springs but will they want to open fighting a good sized fish, or will the bail stay in place ? Thanks...

704 needs the springs to remain closed. I have removed the springs and gone with a rubber washer, but it wore out too quickly (everytime out), so I picked up a manual pickup kit and am now bailess...takes some getting used to but its great.

View Post704 needs the springs to remain closed. I have removed the springs and gone with a rubber washer, but it wore out too quickly (everytime out), so I picked up a manual pickup kit and am now bailess...takes some getting used to but its great.

I'm very good at bailless...Been doing it since I was a kid but I put one on my 704..Did everything the right way but the line kept catching the roller...Showed it to some people in the know and they couldnt figure out why it was catching the roller, so I had to change it back...No biggie...Was just wondering about the spring thing...Thanks...Lou

When the 704 is bailless make sure that you turn the handle till the spool is at the top of it's cycle then holding the line with your finger ABOVE the roller cast. Haven't had line catch the roller in the past 40 years with this method. Good luck.

View PostI have a question about making a reel bailess by removing springs...I have 704 greenies, and 710's...I know you can make them manual by removing the springs but will they want to open fighting a good sized fish, or will the bail stay in place ? Thanks...

Manual, as in you have to close the Bail by hand, or Manual as in no Bail and you have to place the Line on the Pickup? Either way, it's a little more involved then just removing Springs.