Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
richs

chunking thoughts

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

So I'm curious to hear what gear and rigs you guys employ on the open beach. My current choice is a pinnacle heaver, calcutta 700, mono and 9/0 octo on fishfinder with a foot of 60lb. Weight depending on conditions. Backwaters, I try to get away with spinning and no weight at all on braid. Big Country, do you still favor the siwash?

My normal go to is a Lami GSB 1361mh

Squidder with 50# big game

8,10, or 14 inches of 80# perlon leader(conditions depending IE:current, swells, storm surge.

leader snelled to either a 9/0 octopus or 9/0 Siwash situation depending (head piece, body, current)

snap swivel as a fish finder on running line, followed by a 1 inch piece of surge tube(protects knot from swivel&sinker on cast) but best practice is a retie ever few casts..

I carry 8 or 12 oz Hatteras, storm, and claw sinkers usually if I need more then 12 its a wash, but I have used 14's.

Mike

My primary chunking setup consist of a Lami XS12MHC, Avet MXJ MC filled with 300yds of 65lb Suffix braid.

I have been using a pulley rig that is set up using 150Lb swivels, with 3ft of 80Lb mono leader on the Bait shield/sinker side & 2.5ft of 80lb Flouro on the Hook side. For hooks I have been using Eagle claw 9.0 circle hooks or 8.0 gami circles. I prefer the Eagle claw hooks because they are bigger & thicker than the gamis. Braid to swivel I use a Uni knot all mono & flouro is tied using Polamer Knots or Uni knots (I have been experimenting with both knots) all knots are Glued for a little extra strength.

This setup allows me to throw 10oz pyramid sinkers with a big bunker head the longest distance I have ever cast bait.

I use circle hooks only because I release almost all the fish I catch.

I have been spoiled by the lever drag on the Avet, makes me never want to use a star drag again.

PS: I purchased the bait shields from England off of "E" bay, I could not find them anyplace else.

yep, siwash all the way.. eff circle hooks..LOL

lami 136 1mh, squidder or newell 344 loaded with 50 lb mono, 8/0-9/0 mustad siwash hooks, 12 inch 100 lb leader.. etc..

BC

I only bait a few times a season so do not put much into my gear. I have two 12' setups, a 20+ year old diawa 2 piece and a ugly stick. Both with Penn ss reels. Normally just a standard fishfinder rig with a pyramid weight. If I need over 8oz I am not baiting at all. I always use mono on bait rigs.

View Postyep, siwash all the way.. eff circle hooks..LOL

lami 136 1mh, squidder or newell 344 loaded with 50 lb mono, 8/0-9/0 mustad siwash hooks, 12 inch 100 lb leader.. etc..

BC

Does the newell have a levelwind? Cant remember off the top of my head

hatteras heaver, squidder/surfmaster(now playing with 145's and 150's), 50lb or 30lb or 14lb with 50lb shocker sufix tritanium, sometimes 2ft + leader...sometimes a foot or less...usually 100lb test, 6/0 to 9/0 gami octopus, fishfinder rig with various weights though 8oz+ if distance or holding is a factor.(also uniknot, albright for shock leader knot and nail knot for hooks)

Presently.....

Harnell 724, Saltiga Surf 30, 80lb Suffix, fishfinder with bead, 80lb leader- length dependent on conditions: 4 to 5 inches in slop, 6 to 8 in calm, 7/0-8/0 siwash(sharpened frequently) depending on size of bunker, 6 or 8 oz Hatteras depending on chunk size.

Or....

GSB 132 1m with 8" off the tip (which voids warrentyfrown.gif ), Newell 338-5, 50lb Ande, fishfinder with bead, 80lb leader- length dependent on conditions: 4 to 5 inches in slop, 6 to 8 in calm, 7/0-8/0 siwash (sharpened frequently) depending on size of bunker, 8oz Hatteras or 10oz pyramid, depending on conditions.

When bluefish are raising Cain I crimp a 6" leader of 90lb Surflon.