Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
h00dstar215

Penn Fierce

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

I have and it looks like penn has taken the basic Sargus design and revamped it into a family of reels sharing alot of the same features. Pursuit, Fierce, Sargus and Battle in that order. I did not like the feel of the cheaper ones. The Battle is the Sargus with a few improvments. It looks like a winner for $100. I think the Fierce I was holding was $70. The handle and bailwire felt a little weak. The roller looked a little cheap and it did not feel as smooth as the Sargus or Battle.

Bought a combo down here in key largo,been yt with it & so far it has held up to large fish (32" bonito)had some large barracuda on 3'+ & large hog fish to 17"reel seems to work fine,bent rod in u & did not breakheadscratch.gif

Also, the Fierce doesn't come with a spare spool. And the rotor is made out of graphite. The sargus/battle have all metals, the rotor is also metal (don't know what metal)

So I don't really get the point with the Fierce. For just a few bucks more you get one more bearing, a (aluminium) spare spool and a rotor made out of metal instead of graphite. I would go for the Sargus over de Fierce, it's a no brainer..

Fierce is a great reel and just bought one as a spinning reel for blues and shore fishing. So far I'm very impressed with it. Handled an 8 lbs blue like nothing.

Penn 6000 is the size I bought recently.

I have a Fierce... LOVE it! i really like the look of the Battle....

was wondering how it compares to the Saragossa

The Battle is a great buy at $100 but the Saragosa is in another class really (~$2-300)

I would put the Battle as an excellent choice in the "Mid Level " Near Shore Saltwater category whereas the Saragosa is in the "Mid Level" Offshore Saltwater category. Near Shore vs Off Shore being a very different category with Offshore being an expectation of fish to 75lbs or more, Near Shore to 40lbs say, at most, as a reasonable expectation. The offshore species tend to pull a lot harder, pound for pound, in most cases as well (not always, this is just a generalization).

Pretty much on a part by part basis when comparing the two the Saragosa has a tougher longer lasting part in every area, but that should be expected for a reel that costs twice as much for the same size. :)

best

I own the fierce and the battle.

They "look" the same, just different colors, but this is not true at all. The battle has HT 100 drag system, and most of it is metal, compared to the fierce which has plastic parts.

I have 30 lb braid on the fierce, and it handles exceptionally well. However, I lost quite a few big fish on the fierce, im thinking a bluefish 14lb +. I only use the fierce as a bottom fishing rod, or to lend a cousin of mine when we go fishing.

The battle is my #1, I have the 6000 model with 50 lb braid, no backing required (braid ready casket = no mono backing = ++++) I've caught plenty of fish with this reel, and it's superior.

A fishing buddy uses a 2500 fierce with 10 # super slick. he can cast farther than my 4000 fj stradic with 20 # PP. I like the fierce as a cheap light inshore spinner. He dunks his often and just hoses it down and it's still smooth. The battle has carbon fiber washers and could probably handle a bigger fish, but to me the extra weight is just too much. The battles are simply Heavy for their size.

Personally I'm saving up a bit and just getting a smaller stradic fj to spool with lighter line. 

edit: same buddy has caught plenty of snook up to 39", reds, small sharks, and a 25# cobia on that little penn reel. 

I'm using a 5000 Battle combo (MH).  I was debating between the Fierce and battle.  I chose the battle because of the drag and braid ready backing.  I'm running 30lb braid and hasn't had a problem. Smooth.

Penn fierce 6000 model and have had some great fishing on this reel. Biggest is a 12 lb blue and it handled very well. Bail arm wire seems more flimsy than the battle but if you dont have the extra cash for the battle the fierce is an excellent choice. Very smooth drag and if used carefully im sure you could land a 30 + lbs fish. My overall rating based on price, feel and strength = 8.5 for the fierce 6000. Well worth the money.  

I bought a Fierce 4000 combo that became my go-to setup for big river fresh water this year.  The reel performed flawlessly.  I recently purchased a Fierce 5000 for a backup surf rod.  I replaced the felt drag washers in both reels with HT 100 drag washers, and both are very smooth.  The Fierce line are good budget level reels that are built on a proven platform, so should take a fair amount of salt water abuse.

i was wondering too...has any one jigged AJs with one how did it hold up?

Killed three Fierce 5000s this summer jigging AJs using ~16lbs of drag. They won't hold up to it for long.