Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Plug 4

Stolen Reels

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

Two reels were stolen off my Explorer in Newport RI on sat night 10/22 poles were locked in a ski rack,poles were broken to access reels.VS250G s/n 17210 and Sphereos 4000FB please keep your ears and eyes open and help me find them thanks Stefan from Newport 401-855-2420. Police report was made, I checked local pawn shops Im watching craigslist and ebay. Any help and info is greatly appreciated

View PostTwo reels were stolen off my Explorer in Newport RI on sat night 10/22 poles were locked in a ski rack,poles were broken to access reels.VS250G s/n 17210 and Sphereos 4000FB please keep your ears and eyes open and help me find them thanks Stefan from Newport 401-855-2420. Police report was made, I checked local pawn shops Im watching craigslist and ebay. Any help and info is greatly appreciated

wow this is going on alot latelyheadscratch.gif what is this world coming too???sorry to hear that. i fish alot down your way i will be on the lookout.

Hope you get your gear back man.I only bring what I'm taking with me and make sure the interior of my car is clean and nothing worth taking is in it when I park it.There has been a bunch of this in RI recently.I thought they caught the guys from last year.

View PostMeth and heroin addicts wouldn't know the difference between a VS and a regular reel. This was a fisherman

Or kids out for Kicks. I always like to trust our fellow fishermen.

I agree with the "having faith if fisherman" thing. Knowing a "bit" about law enforcement as well as the area it was taken from, the worst part is that an addict wouldn't really care if it was a Van Staal or a Zebco - neither would the dealer.

When all he is probably going to do is swap it for a small bag anyway, the new "sale price" could be as little as 25 or 50 bucks for the pair depending on how shiny or expensive it looks and how much the dealer knows about fishing or how badly the thief needs to "hook up".

Pawn shops and the like, IF they take it will spend time looking up the value, pay the guy $10 for it and ship it off to a buddy in another state who happens to own another shop to sell it far away from where it was sitting.

I don't mean to depress you Bud and God knows I love grabbing thieving little mutts by the scruff and learnin em a bit-o-manners but Newport is a busy town and, well, the city police are not exactly going to race around it checking everyone's fishing reels... I mean it IS an island...

Were these reels engraved with specific serial numbers or anything that might be able to positively identify them as yours or would it be your word against some guys when you stand there telling him how the reel got each scratch - and he comes up with stories to match?

I would never recommend doing anything on your own if you find them but if it is going to come down to you and another guy haggling in front of a patrolman about "no they are mine", someone is gonna have to prove it and if they current owner has other fishing stuff in his vehicle and knows even a little bit about fishing, it's gonna be a short squabble...

I feel for you my friend. I know when you saw your reels gone you had that sick feeling! I had my car broken in once while fishing. They threw a large rock though the side window. Drove home with glass all over the place. Now I only carry what I need for the night! No more targets in the back of car. The only thing that helps me at times is to think this. If it was a drug addict, I know their life is hell Does this make it right.....heck no! But they dug themselves into a hole with no easy way out. I would rather loose a reel than live that life. I know that does not make you feel better. I will prayer for you and the addict.

Icepants

Sorry to hear about that. That really sucks. In addition to reporting the loss to Van Staal, also ask them for a list of all certified Van Staal repair centers. There are not many. You never know, if the reel is pawned or sold it may be sent in by the new owner for service at one of these locations.

Good luck, I hope you can recover your reel.

Unfortunetly I believe its a fellow fisherman and serial numbers are engraved by the manufacturer and registered with police and van staal dealers and service shops. I dont expect to get these reels back but I can hope. Thanks again