Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeS

Fly storage?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I was going through my flies for this past season and decided I need a better way of storing flies in bulk. I've kept them in the Plano dividable boxes, but they tend to bunch up, deforming them. I was wondering how you guys store your flies when they are not if fly boxes. I was thinking about putting them in the plastic sleeves that stores package them in, but I can't seem to locate a good

source for them. Any ideas?

Mike

Mike

The plastic sleeves seem awkward IMO, so i like to leave them in the fly boxes. I do go through them and RE sort them etc. For what it's worth, I've tried the boxes with the hard dimples, but dislike them cause it seems not all the fly hooks seem to hold. They end up falling out when you open the boxes, so i lean towards the foam bottoms smile.gif Possible someone else has a better way?

My 2 cents worth.......

Walt

------------------

I carry them in fly boxes...5 to be exact when I'm on the war path! When I am storing them in bulk, I put them in the little zip lock bags. I prefer the 2X4" bags, even though many flies are longer than this, the narrow bags will keep the hackles and hair straight along the sides and the fly will look "fresh" when I need to replace it's worn/lost brethren in my box.

I used to keep them in the plano type boxes, I think this is an excellent method. Don't let the fact that they look compressed scare you, they will be 100% when they hit the water, and that's where it counts. Unless you are showing your flies to others and want them to look their best, don't sweat the compressed look from the plano boxes. If you'd like the zip lock bags, I'll offer them here. 2X4 bag/100 will be $5/100. 2X8 bags will be $8/100. 3X5 and 3X6 bags $6/100. I'll put them up on my site with the hook page I'm still grinding out! wink.gif

TimS

A quick tip on how to make cheap flyboxes...

Buy clear plastic VHS video tape boxes cut out the stem(s) that stick up and glue in a flat piece of foam. I purchased foam that is used for sealing doorsills, it has little ridges that aid in holding the hooks in place. The spline of the box can easily be labeled for quick identification and they stack well too. I hope this helps solve your fly storage problems.

Tom

Posted (edited) · Report post

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2000 at 3:00 PM, MikeS said:

I was going through my flies for this past season and decided I need a better way of storing flies in bulk. I've kept them in the Plano dividable boxes, but they tend to bunch up, deforming them. I was wondering how you guys store your flies when they are not if fly boxes. I was thinking about putting them in the plastic sleeves that stores package them in, but I can't seem to locate a good

source for them. Any ideas?

Mike

Try Royal Bag co. I buy from them in bulk.You can get a few folks to share the purchase.All kinds of sizes and thicknesses of the bags themselves.I have also[Tom D mentioned] used the old VCR boxes[clear] for many years for when I am on the water.Long flies like eels,herring,squids,etc.It's the sleeves.Just a thought.Also,try U-Line co.

Edited by theshadow

Posted (edited) · Report post

Some other ideas:  I love the CandF boxes but they are expensive, small, and not totally waterproof.  I have taken to buying pelican boxes and then cutting this slit foam to size and lining the box with it.  As for plastic bags, I like the 6mil bags found on clearbags.com.  

despite that advice...I still haven't' found the perfect system either...after custom cutting all that slit foam...I find myself throwing the flies in without taking the time to use the slits.  

sigh

Edited by Ajefferslyon
spelling

This has never happen before? A closer look into my flies.

It's raining today, off the water gave me something to do this after.

Most of my boxes are pretty full to the brim.

Each photo represents (4) Piano boxes lumped together.

The 1st photo shows (4) boxes of trout flies.

IMG_2114.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2120.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG

9 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

This has never happen before? A closer look into my flies.

It's raining today, off the water gave me something to do this after.

Most of my boxes are pretty full to the brim.

Each photo represents (4) Piano boxes lumped together.

The 1st photo shows (4) boxes of trout flies.

IMG_2114.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2120.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG

Holy ****!

At home I'm super anal and hang up most flies to store them - I have several billion miles of Mardi gras beads (and I earned every one) which spaces them out and keeps them looking pretty....

But then on the water I keep a few in Ziploc bag style wallets - essentially fumbling at the end zone

Lately with my 4 year old becoming very interested in fishing and fishing stuff - I use mostly tube flies which are great because you can keep gigantic flies in your pockets and the hooks I keep in a film canister style tube.   

On 1/14/2000 at 11:25 AM, Tom D said:

A quick tip on how to make cheap flyboxes...

Buy clear plastic VHS video tape boxes cut out the stem(s) that stick up and glue in a flat piece of foam. I purchased foam that is used for sealing doorsills, it has little ridges that aid in holding the hooks in place. The spline of the box can easily be labeled for quick identification and they stack well too. I hope this helps solve your fly storage problems.

Tom

Found an alternative to the VHS boxes - go to a craft store - michaels/ac moore etc - buy a 99 cent pencil box and a piece of 1/4 inch foam for $1.50 - cut to shape and for $2.59 you get a decent box that will hold big flies - you can leave the foam off the top for more room

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

box4.jpg