Quote:

[TABLE]

[TR]

Originally Posted by LinesidesonIthefly

Skok's Blind Crab

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I second Skok's Blind Crab fly!

Dave Skok's Blind Crab works on the flats of CC Bay as well as the edge of the surf white water. His baby flounder fly is almost as effective. Both are in my kit for spring flats fishing in NE and NJ.

There should be an on line receipe of the Blind Crab. You can buy them is several MA Fly Shops.

M Sax - very nice ties. Do you fish them on the bottom hook down?

great thread, I'll give M. Sax's patterns a try. It'll be especially interesting next year (back bay is shut down from the temps already) when the tog are hitting mole crabs with gusto in

the late summer.

Skok's Blind Crab

I'm trying to figure out how to tie this pattern

the main problem is finding the right materials.

Here's the list from flyfishingsalt:

MATERIALS

Hook: #1 Mustad Signature C68S SS - no problem

Thread: Shell-pink flat-waxed nylon and tan 3/0 Monocord - no problem

Eyes: Medium lead dumbbell eyes (can be painted tan, cream or orange)- no problem

Tail: Bleached elk hair- no problem

Legs: Size M cream Span-Flex, barred pale pink and black with permanent markers - not 100% sure but assume doesn't matter much

Underbody: One strand of tan E-Z Bug or Bill's Woolly Bugger Marabou Chenille and a ginger variant (or other color) saddle hackle - what the heck is this?

Carapace: Natural hare's ear magnum- - what the heck is this?

cut zonker strip - what the heck is this?

Glue: Head cement

and for the "what the heck is this" items... where do I find the stuff?

robtf, A couple of years ago I bought Skok's blind crab size 6 with orange dumbell eyes to see how it was tied and get a better idea of the materials used. It looks like the underbody was tied with EZee Bug tan and wrapped with a ginger hackle. This past year I was in Bear's Den and bought a size 2 with cream dumbell eyes. The underbody on the most recent one appears to be wrapped with a tan chenille and a tan hackle. The chenille is about 1/8" in diameter. The EZee Bug is more coarse and about 3/8" in diameter than the tan chenille. Feather-Craft was my most recent source for the EZee Bug. They list it under their chenilles and yarns.

The legs on the one with orange eyes are barred an orange-pink and black. The one with cream eyes uses orange and black barred legs. I think that most fly shops will have some variation of these.

The natural hare's ear magnum cut zonker strip may be 1/4" magnum cut zonker strips from rabbit in the natural color. That is what these flies look like they are constructed with. A couple of years ago, I was looking for this also and I settled on the 1/4" magnum cut rabbit zonker strips in natural. Most fly shops will have this also.

If anyone here knows more about natural hare's ear magnum cut zonker strips, I'd be interested in finding out more about it.

robtf, I hopes this helps.

Tim

Tim

Thanks... perhaps I just need to purchase one someplace to use as a guide :D

Your description helps... unfortunately there are no fly shops nearby so I'll have to stop

at one when I'm out in flyfishing country, which south jersey is most definitely NOT LOL!

-- Rob