Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason B

Sand Crab Pattern

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Some shops in FL have them for Pompano, but the hooks are pretty small. One I saw looked like a crayfish pattern. Small clouser eyes, grizzly hackle palmered over tan dubbing body, little rabbit strip "claws" and a hard rubber back that looked like pliobond. Short shank hook- maybe a #2. I think those little crabs are like peanuts to Mr. bass.

Jason

I tie a crab pattern that is most similar to the Del Brown fly, but not exact other than the weighting and rug wool for a shell.

For crab patterns it's normally good to look in a book that covers permit flies, like Saltwater Fly Patterns by Lefty Kreh.....

There are tons of patterns, and I myself don't know too much about most the flies and I've never caught a permit on fly in my life!

Two shots, one hooked, none close......totally blew it!

Seahoze Larry

frown.gif I also am looking for a good patten, a fellow use to do olive,tan,deerhair crabs they were 3"round, GREAT flies, still looking for some one whow knows how to do them. looking to BUY for shop!!!!!!!

"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"

To imitate sand fleas, tie a size 4 or 6 clouser white belly, tan on top lots of flash, or off- white kinky fiber-this consistently slays the pompano in the Miami surf, never tried this pattern up here for stripers, but we all know that the preferred forage foe pompano is the sand flea and these patterns apparently imitate them well, so they should work on Mr. Bass. Just my.02

We here on the Left Shore (California) use many different ties for sand crabs (Mole Crabs).

Here is a great web-site dedicated to West Coast surf fly fishing.

http://www.fliflicker.com

It has many good articles about surf fly fishing.

For the fly selection, on the left side of the main page click on the Fli-box link. Many people share their recipes. just click on the fly to see it.

Best of luck and I hope this helps you find what you are looking for.

If you can hook a tog on the fly, let me know. I've been thinking about it for a long, long time. I know where they're stacked like cordwood from my time spent diving, I desperately want to get out and drift a crab pattern through. It might take a little crab juice to make it happen, but I'm not opposed to it... these are the big boys.

i would never have thought a tog could be caught on the fly but if thick and agressively feedijg it could be possible. bro in law had a tog grab a crab at the surface by a bridge last week while he was messing with a net and some lines on the boat. nearly took the rod out of his hand. that had to be a visual strike.

WF10S7, ditto leader, some mono onto the fly (whispering ... might have to accidentally snag a lead shot on the back cast ..... water flow shunts where I plan on experimenting) and dead slow retrieve.

I've accepted the fact that there is going to be much unhappiness and gnashing of teeth due to de-structure-ing until the optimum line is stumbled on, but I'll report back with the good, the bad, and the undoubted frustration.

i would never have thought a tog could be caught on the fly but if thick and agressively feedijg it could be possible. bro in law had a tog grab a crab at the surface by a bridge last week while he was messing with a net and some lines on the boat. nearly took the rod out of his hand. that had to be a visual strike.

If a Carp can be tempted to sip a fly, why not? Hell, I hooked a seagull at MTK a couple of months ago!