Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yougster

Favorite Spot Closed! Fisherman Unite!

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

One of my favorite spots on the North Shore is closed!! It used to be never closed and now they locked the gate providing beach access, they allow you in there only from 8 am to 6 pm. We have to do something about this!!!!

I know the spot and am also upset about it. I went there last Sunday and the gate was locked going to the beach. I hopped the fence thinking someone was playing a joke or forgot to unlock it. When I came back to my car, after slamming some fish, I had a warning flyer on my windshield stating that I would be fined 250.00 if I was caught going onto the beach or fishing. I spoke with the police officer there and he told me that there were too many complaints from the locals about garbage and noise on the beach. If you fish there regularly, it shouldn't be a mystery who caused the problems. NS access has become a joke.

View PostI know the spot and am also upset about it. I went there last Sunday and the gate was locked going to the beach. I hopped the fence thinking someone was playing a joke or forgot to unlock it. When I came back to my car, after slamming some fish, I had a warning flyer on my windshield stating that I would be fined 250.00 if I was caught going onto the beach or fishing. I spoke with the police officer there and he told me that there were too many complaints from the locals about garbage and noise on the beach. If you fish there regularly, it shouldn't be a mystery who caused the problems. NS access has become a joke.

The Coalition will be going to a village meeting soon to see what can be done.

Willie

I miss my old rich mans point. Sorry to here about your spot. I moved, up to CT I have to find all new spots now. Last time I SHARED and gave access to a sweet point with creeks running in, it got blown up, from trash and noise as well. One guy told another after I left. If you wade around some points, I think as long as your in the water your ok? Go alone stay quite. Fishing the N shore, it's not just a sport it's a special operation. Good for you for hoppin the fence. That's how I grew up fishing in the ship yards in the NW. Nothin like throwing your fish over the fence! Good luck at the meeting. I stayed in ----- point for a spell...I know how quite they like it.

Last two yrs I would bump into fisherman sometimes 4-5 a night where they had Never been before. And I'd fish/visit there every summer for 16 yrs

It has definitely gotten more crowded. I've heard the ridiculous places I fished in bklyn have also gotten even more ridiculous...What's going on over there?

Every yr, I would worry about more n more places closing. Almost gave up and got a kayak. < Not a bad idea for the N shore. you could yak to your spots.

View Post.....there were too many complaints from the locals about garbage and noise on the beach. If you fish there regularly, it shouldn't be a mystery who caused the problems. NS access has become a joke.

Sadly, this is becoming an all to common problem. I also lost a spot on the north shore I've been fishing for 20+ yrs due to the same exact reasonmad.gif..mostly beer cans, bait and plastic bags. When you try to educate the people responsible, all you get is a shrug of the shoulder and "no ingles".

View PostSadly, this is becoming an all to common problem. I also lost a spot on the north shore I've been fishing for 20+ yrs due to the same exact reasonmad.gif..mostly beer cans, bait and plastic bags. When you try to educate the people responsible, all you get is a shrug of the shoulder and "no ingles".

Thats exactly what happening here. Except they are keeping it open for some of the day. Actually correct that, there is a park there so they keep that open but no beach accsess.

It hasn't happened yet, but one of my favorite NS spots is undergoing the same sad state of affairs -bonfires at night (chokes me to death sometimes) and then they leave all the burnt embers in a pile; discarded bait packaging; food packaging; beer cans; line; bottom rig wrappers; etc.

It's getting REALLY REALLY BAD and I am sure that sooner or later (sooner rather than later) the spot will be closed.

The problem with beach permits for places like this is that once they issue a permit then they are SUPPOSED to patrol the area, but with the reduction in officers to do this kind of work, enforcement is practically non-existent. I have been fishing Caumsett all season long and the only time I saw a single LO officer was about 2AM on a holiday weekend just because word got out that the spot was on fire earlier this spring. IF the permit is in effect 24/7 then it effectively shuts out EVERYONE EXCEPT permit holders. Sounds great but people who just want to hang out during the day and NOT fish will be up in arms should this happen to a place like Old Field Point. So, what to do? Put a NIGHT permit in place, but then the cops don't patrol the lots at night, and the garbage keeps piling up.

Without a SERIOUS effort at ENFORCING a permit system it is a no-win situation.

View PostThats exactly what happening here. Except they are keeping it open for some of the day. Actually correct that, there is a park there so they keep that open but no beach accsess.

That addresses the people who just want to go to the park but it shuts out the fishermen - good AND bad. It is a sucky system.

What they would need at OFP would be what they USED to have at Camp Hero - a locked gate ALL THE TIME and only permit holders with a key could get in there. The place was great then. Now ANYONE can get in at night. During the day, yes, you have to pay, but it still doesn't keep irresponsible fishermen out.

View PostOne of my favorite spots on the North Shore is closed!! It used to be never closed and now they locked the gate providing beach access, they allow you in there only from 8 am to 6 pm. We have to do something about this!!!!

Just climb the fence!

Okay Folks !!!

Let's start generating our frustrations in the

the right direction.

Councilman Steve Fiore Rosenfeld represents

this area please call 631 451 6963 and express

your concern about loss of access. They will tell

you it's out of their hands. Old Field is part of

Brookhaven not a kingdom. Request that Rosenfeld

be present at the next Old Field meeting. I called

three times with no return call. Tell them they will

see you at the next Brookhaven town hall meeting

if you feel you are not being fairly represented.

Congressman Tim Bishop tele 631 696 6500

I have called his office four times to request a

meeting with Congressman Bishop. No return

phone call. He's my representative and it is a

election year. His website states he promotes

the rights of the recreational fishermen. Your

VOTE counts and you are a Long Islander. Do

not let them take your heritage away and do not

let them tell you it's out of their hands.

Cool heads when conveying your rights as a

fisherman and a taxpayer will be much more

effective than a rant. Remember you,your family,

your neighbors,and your co workers vote . We all

have differences but we all share the same passion

Do not sit by and let them take this away from you

and I . It's time to stand and fight for what is your

birthright as a citizen of Long Island,New York and

the USA !

p.s. If they don't call back. Call again and again.

It's your tax dollars that keep them employed and it's

your tax dollars that are being used to maintain ALL

Long Island beaches.mad.gif

For all those who work for this cause I thank you from

the bottom of my heart !!!clapping.gif

View PostOkay Folks !!!

Let's start generating our frustrations in the

the right direction.

Councilman Steve Fiore Rosenfeld represents

this area please call 631 451 6963 and express

your concern about loss of access. They will tell

you it's out of their hands. Old Field is part of

Brookhaven not a kingdom. Request that Rosenfeld

be present at the next Old Field meeting. I called

three times with no return call. Tell them they will

see you at the next Brookhaven town hall meeting

if you feel you are not being fairly represented.

Congressman Tim Bishop tele 631 696 6500

I have called his office four times to request a

meeting with Congressman Bishop. No return

phone call. He's my representative and it is a

election year. His website states he promotes

the rights of the recreational fishermen. Your

VOTE counts and you are a Long Islander. Do

not let them take your heritage away and do not

let them tell you it's out of their hands.

Cool heads when conveying your rights as a

fisherman and a taxpayer will be much more

effective than a rant. Remember you,your family,

your neighbors,and your co workers vote . We all

have differences but we all share the same passion

Do not sit by and let them take this away from you

and I . It's time to stand and fight for what is your

birthright as a citizen of Long Island,New York and

the USA !

p.s. If they don't call back. Call again and again.

It's your tax dollars that keep them employed and it's

your tax dollars that are being used to maintain ALL

Long Island beaches.mad.gif

For all those who work for this cause I thank you from

the bottom of my heart !!!clapping.gif

Very good, if we work together we can win

Thanks

Willie

This is really getting out of hand on the North Shore. This makes me sick. Beaches are not the only place people litter and break laws, yet the answer always is the locals complained and the beaches need to be shut down. Enforcement is the answer, not keeping law abiding, tax paying citizens off of their beaches. The do nothing politicians take the easy way out and just close the beaches.

People need to make phone calls, write letters, spread the word to your friends, fellow fisherman and colleagues. Dont give up , keep calling, keep writing letters. Attend the meetings and make your voices heard.

We are surrounded by water and beaches here on Long Island , yet it is impossible to access the beaches and fish. The greedy beachfront homeowners are turning the beaches into their own private beaches. Yes, there are probably some legitimate complaints, but the people who would like to keep us off of the beaches are seizing the opportunity.