Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

stand alone freezer question...

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I posted this in the lounge, but I thought it would be better here...

anyone have any info on how much it costs a month to run an extra freezer (for bait, etc) in a basement/garage, etc..

Im moving into a new house and possibly looking to get an extra freezer, wife is trying to put the ky-bosh on it saying it dramatically increases the electric bill...

Any evidence of this??? I need ammo to throw back at her!!!

LOL

BC

keeping a freezer outside is ok during the spring/summer/fall months as long as it stays dry (ie under a car port, in a shed, etc.)When you take your wife shopping be sure to point the energy efficient tags, how can she argue with that. Plus tell her it will keep you from storing all that nasty bait in the food freezer. I got a 14 cu inch freezer at best buy around the holidays for 269.99, a great purchase.

We have an upright one. It's well worth any small additional cost. Our extra freezer's energy cost is more than offset by buying food items on sale and freezing them for later use. From meat to chicken to ice cream to pizza to fish and bait of course.

Our fridge is a side by side waste of space. Nothing fits in the side freezer! So, we kinda needed to get another freezer.

Hope this helps.

You can freeze bread - I didn't know that.

BC,

My mother-in-law loves the meat plan from the butcher so she always has an abundance of meat to store. She purchased a fridgidair upright and she keeps it in the house. I just called her and she said her electric bill went up $2.00 a month. I'd say your wife has no argument on this one but hey, she tried. haha.. It's a low energy, no frost model.

ErikT

From a lot of experience....

DO NOT put one outside, during the summer you WILL see dramatic electric consumption!

The garage is not always the best of places either as they tend to get warm during the summer also, The basement is the best bet. As far as cost to run, it is directly associated with how full it is, the more stuff in it, the less it costs to run. A chest freezer is more efficiant than an upright as the cold does not pour out whenever you open the door, it's a pain in the butt when you need something on the bottom though.

I bought a good size one, half is for bait, the other half houses frozen stuff in bulk.

I can't tell you how much it costs per month to run, but I can tell you that there was no difference removing an old upright ref/freezer unit and replacing it with the big chest that is normally a bit over half full.

[This message has been edited by Michael P (edited 01-29-2002).]

Here's how you calculate the cost for an applicance:

Avg. Kilowatt Hrs. per year x cost per KWH = total yearly cost.

For a 16.7 cu. ft. Kenmore as an example:

682 KWH per year x $0.12 KWH (LIPA avg) = $81.84.

As mentioned above there are variables such as how full it is, how often it is opened, and how warm the location is that you put it, etc. The true cost will probably be 50-100% higher.

Don't buy a frost free. Food (and bait) lasts longer is a frost type. I keep mine filled with milk jugs filled with water in the empty areas. This way it's always full and I have blocks of ice when I need it.

------------------

Bob Sr. (Big Daddy Breaks-A-lot)

B.C,

Bob brings up a really good point. I also have an upright bait freezer and I freeze the big soda bottles and use them as re-useable ice blocks...they stay pretty much frozen 3 days.

There ya go....another strong justification bullet in your economic feesability study ....think of all the money & time you'll save getting ice! Buying yourself a bait freezer is VERY financially responsible!

Taking her to Sam's Club after you get it is a good idea too. biggrin.gif

------------------

Gilseagull.gif

[This message has been edited by Gil (edited 01-29-2002).]

We have a big freezer in our basement which has more than paid for itself in giving me a place to keep homemade chum logs, fozen snagged bunker, frozen mackerel, frozen peanuts, sand eels,etc. Wife loves it because she can go crazy when there is a sale and its great for buying big ice cream cakes in advance.

I agree with the non frost free especially if you keep it in the garage like mine. I have a regular fridge in the kitchen and a stand up freezer in the garage, both for food stuff, and an apartment frige in the garage for beer and bait.wink.gif Both garage models are the kind you manually defrost (once a year after the summer works great)! Wifey never coplains after seeing the bait stuff that goes in MY friges freezercwm27.gif

BC,

We keep a bait/beer fridge/freezer in our garage. Runs a lot in summer, hardly at all in winter. Best guess is it costs us less than $50-60 a year, since I only open it briefly and only on fishing days. Freezers only cost if they're opened and closed often.

Jack