Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Biefs

Morrum 7700 cl for Heavy Surf'ing

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,I see here's a lot of ABU "Fundies"on this Greaaat Forum so here i go.I've got 2 Morrum 7700 CL's and want to know if they'll be suitable for heavy surf'ing(up to 8oz.lead and bait)I'll be targeting Drum( Kabeljou in South-Africa)up to 100 pounds and medium shark fishing up to 250 pounds.The drag washers on the morrums are very hard and brittle and crack easily.can i replace them and with what?What are Smoothies?My rods are Purglas 400/4 factory rods.Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.Tight Lines

bud change the washers ,theyre cooked when they get that hard.i would rather use a penn 140 to sling 8 n bait to be honest but with 4 oz ya should be fine.smoothies are a good drag washer butthey aint for everyone.i would rather the fiber ones but thats my opine.witha fine tuned magged up squidder loaded with 65lb whiplash you'de be better suited,or go to a pen 10000 instead.especially with fish that size.in the past i have reconfiged penn ht100's drag washers in some of my older abus with excellent results/

The 7700 Morrum is one of the strongest ambassadeur reels ever made. And the drag washers in it are not cooked. they are made of carbon and are brittle the day they are made. but once thay are in the reel they will not crack. The carbon drag makes the Smoothies feel like sandpaper. I don't know about fighting a 250lb. shark, but it is a great reel.

That is R1750.00 South-African Rand.You don't wanna know what i paid for it,ok i'll tell you 660 us dollars each converted from South-African Rand.Shows you what our greenstuff value is,zip.Sorry but can't farm into negative.Maybe a swop or something,let me think what i need(TimS Is this allowed in this post,if not sorry!)

oops....

You guys pay through the nosefor this stuff over there... ouch! Thats big money... not that the top of the line abu are not worth it.. they certainly are!

But because of the many dealers here in the states and the on line retailers we can swing them here for a much better price..

They are worth every penny at any price, they are great reels!

Awesome John,i'm looking for some decent custom rods(2)built on Lami's GSB1202L(2-piece)and GSB12O2M(2-piece)with nice wraps.Quote from U.S custom builder was $1500.Too much for my pocket and don't want to be ripped off.Any suggestions?

Are these rods suitable for fish up to 250#. That would be my first concern before spending $1.5K on 2 rods. smile.gif That is the high end as far as custom $ goes, and not at all appropriate pricing for a GSB series rod unless "nice wraps" means something other than what I think it means. Are you going to have any sort of warranty half a world away? Does a builder here have any experience in building a rod for the fishing that you are doing?

Hi Triet,valuable pointers there!I don't think warranty is such a big issue for me.Yes,nice wraps only mean some nice butt wrap design like a reverse chevron about 6" in lenght and guide wraps with underwrap.Good guility guides eg.Fuji HNSG,a TDPSM22BC Fuji Trigger Seat and cork grips.Normal overhead casting.Rods will surely stand up to fish.Thanx

hey biefs the best custome rod builder I know also happen to be the "lowest priced" rod builder I know... his name is James Musemeci and he can be found at "james tackle" do a search and you!ll find him or pm me for a link. It is not allowed to post comercial links on the forum here.

Janes is a great guy and a fine builder with excellent prices.