Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BASSOMATIC

Rigged eels: eel squid or not ?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

For you guys that rig,do conditions dictate whether you fish a rigged eel with a eel squid or one without ?

What are those conditions ?

Is it just a matter of preference ?

What about eel skin jigs ?

Are these considered bait or lure ?

Dont have experience with the squid head, but the guy that taught me says he uses it with deeper/faster moving water. He does some real damage, so I wont argue. I'm gonna try it this year. There are some things in life that just seem right, or that make you wonder as if this is what the gods wanted you to do. Rigged eels are like that for one, and have me thinking. I gave rigged eels my first honest attempt last year. I made up my mind I was gonna fish em all night. That was that. Within 20 minutes I had a 22, then a 25. Then I went rigged eels crazy and used em all over, almost exclusively, and caught fish all over. Re skins, I saw an article in In The Water last year about eel skin plugs. I was particulalry interested in the one with an eel skin over a needle fish. So I made one. First cast, no bull, wham, the gods must have been smiling on me again. Come to think of it, I remember my very first cast with a needlefish, ever, wham. Preference? Conditions? The only thing I can add is that sometimes (usually) the rigged eels cast better than the live, and the skin plugs either have action or cast better than the rigged. I cant say if any of this is any bit more effective than anything else. Some guys love schoolbus bombers, some guys love tins, and so on. Some guys will never modify a plug as they are afraid it will somehow change whatever magic the plug is supposed to have. We can talk all about various plugs or techniques, modifications, but it all boils down to your confidence. Thank god I have some confidence in this stuff, and it encourages me to experiment more. You wanna go out and throw it all night, without second guessing yourself every cast. Once I find something is effective, I start thinking of other places to try it. Thats the most important thing for me, all this experimentation and constant improving on technique -it keeps it interesting and fun.

Oh yeah, bait or lure? Who cares. I think its bait. If it rots, its bait.

[This message has been edited by JohnP (edited 05-02-2000).]

Bassomatic....tried 'em both ways...started with using a squid...and ended using a squid...and will always continue to use them with a squid. I found the non-squid method to be laborious and not suited for the tackle I use to throw rigged eels...a stiff rod and 65# braid. A non-squid rigged eel would require more of a pencil popper type rod to work it comfortably for very long. The squid does many things. It adds that eerie glow/flash of pure tin that the fish dig. It adds distance to your casts. It allows the rigged eel to sink faster. There are many different types of squids...wide, narrow, deep keeled, shallow keeled, light, heavy, pure tin, pure lead and everything in between. Some squids weigh 3oz in pure tin, some weigh a 1/2 ounce. I let the water dictate which squid to use, but not to determine whether or not to use a squid. The squids give you an infinite degree of control with both depth and speed of retrieve. The squids can be bent in many different ways so one eel rigged on one head can be "tuned" so as to fish it shallow, deep, fast or slow....such variety is a great asset!

I'm with John, I have the utmost confidence in rigged eels...some of the truly huge fish I've met (and gotten my butt kicked!) have eaten rigged eels. I love 'em, couldn't live without 'em!

TimS

It's funny you ask that question....For quite a few years all I would do is throw rigged eels from end of May till August off the jetties from Mommouth Beach all the wat down to South Belmar. I have had much luck doing this. All I used to use was eels with the eels squid/wobble plate in front of it. I rigged my own eels and did a mighty fine job I might add....Last year, one night we were into a nice school of cow bass, all over 40 inches for about an hour up at the cape. After a while and many eels later I switched and began using a rigged eel, my buddy continued to use live eels and continued banging the hell out of the fish, I on the other hand could not get a hit for about 10 valuable minutes....I switched back to the live and started hitting them agian. I know up at the Cape nobody uses the tin squids, and I guess I could see why. Just an experience I had which I wanted to bring up....

Anyone have a quick link to a "rigging eels" QA? Tim, do you have any articles on rigging eels? I have never done it, nor have I heard of how to do it, so forgive me if I'm being naive..

Thanks,

ErikT smile.gif

Eric, the book "Secrets of Surf Fishing at Night" by William (Doc) Muller has detailed pictures and directions for eel rigging without an eel squid.

Tim, What about eel skin jigs ? I'm looking for something different,besides bucktails, to use in faster moving inlets here on Long Island.

The Surfcaster catalog has a 3 oz eel skin jighead--I prefer the ones with a single hook. Never seen any in the local shops here, however. But, IMO, a 7" or 10" FinS body in the alewife color (dark blue back, light blue belly) is a dead-on imitation of an eel skin rig when the skin is "inflated" with water.