Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishman328

barbless hooks

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

i recently fished MTK and to much to deal with trebles and barbs.so my question goes out to the guys that flatten there barbs down.do you guys feel you get the same catch % VS losing fish?

thanks guys

only if you know how to fight a fish properly. if you can keep tension on your line the entire time and know what hte fish is doing it shouldn't be an issue. i fish freshwater barbless, bass, trout, sunnies on the fly and never have an issue.

View Postonly if you know how to fight a fish properly. if you can keep tension on your line the entire time and know what hte fish is doing it shouldn't be an issue. i fish freshwater barbless, bass, trout, sunnies on the fly and never have an issue.

so tension =success..ok i think ill flatten a few down just to give it a shot because ill never know until i try it

View PostI lose more fish, but it isnt too bad and its worth it if safety is an issue.

yea i was having a load of fun but when you have yellow eyed monsters with trebles swinging its can go from having a great time to going to the hospital..and thats another reason why i got some siwash hook cuz MTK is not the place for all those trebles swinging

View Postonly if you know how to fight a fish properly. if you can keep tension on your line the entire time and know what hte fish is doing it shouldn't be an issue. i fish freshwater barbless, bass, trout, sunnies on the fly and never have an issue.

Listen to the man.

I Bend Mine Down , It Dose All The Good In The World To....its Like One Of The Fellows Stated If A Yellow Eyed Brute(bluefish) Has It In The Corner Of His Jaw The Barbs Down Help Big Time. Thats Why I Use Cheaper Muststads If I Have To Clip The Hook Eye Or Split Ring To Free Him Its Easyer, Or You Kill The Fish Trying To Unhook It....if A Hook Pulls During A Fight It Dont Mater If Its Vmc, Mustad, Or Owners Its Going To Pull.....shuda Chuda Whoulda. It Pulls frown.gif

I believe that fighting fish barbless will help you become a better fisher anyways because you have to pay attention to what the fish is doing, not just CRANKKKK!!! and try to bully the fish in. You have to know how the fish is behaving, you may want to learn on smaller fish before you lose your 80 lb striper. Panfish on light line are great because they will constantly pull away and as they get closer, will circles, shoot left and right and do every other thing to get loose. I'm taking some barbless mickey finns out now to chase crappie on the fly. They're a blast. Get out there and try, Good luck!

Little experience with hook vs barbless hooks.A guy hooked me years ago on a rock at Montauk,he ran over my line and when I went to release his plug he pulled it and hooked me DEEEEEEEEEEP in my thumbmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif .I tried like crazy to get the hook out impossible!!!Make a long story short the town doctor was nowhere to be found had to go all the way back to South Hampton sit in emergency room for a couple of hours and cut my trip short by a couple of days.It proves to me fishing with barbs is not worth losing a fish now and then.I honestly couldn't say how many fish I could have lost without the barbs.headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

agree with the above comments, i'll add that i probably lose a few more fish with crimped barbs, but the lost fish are smallish, especially the smaller blues, and its usually when lifting them out of the water. -same in freshwater, usually smaller fish tend to shake the hook in the same way, and thats fine with me,= more time fishingbiggrin.gif

*I like to cut my trebs down to two hooks,i usually don't do it untill i'm into a bunch of fish though...anyone else do this?- i think the hook-up rate is just as good.

I don't loose many fish once hooked, so I don't know if I know how many are lost do to no barb. That soundsconfusing. I don't think it's many. Makes the fight more exciting.

I never have a barb on my hooks.

Besides the reasons already mentioned, I have heard some seminar guys say that they think it makes setting the hook easier.

I really don't like destroying or further damaginga fish just to release it.

Good luck