Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

Weighing and measuring large Stripers?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

So let's just say for the sake of argument that I finally catch my goal fish of 30#, 40#. I don't keep many fish anyways..maybe 1-2 a year, so any guilt from killing them is NIL.

How long can you really keep a fish out of the water to document the catch, measure and weigh it before you are killing the fish?

If I catch a 50#er it's dying, plain and simple so don't start with the waterworks. It's going on my wall, plain and simple. After that I can die happy. biggrin.gif

I like to have pics of my catches for memories and if I plan on releasing most of the larger fish....if and when they come, I would like to know a timeframe I have to do what I need.

I fish with heavy gear, so the fight times are as short as possible.

Here's how I DO IT:

Measure it first; I use seamstress cloth tapes from any sew shop. Also very easy to get a quick girth if you want.

Then, have a stainless steel tuna hook at the ready with the barb filed off. about 9/0 about the right size. Puncture this under the lower jaw. Fish is still on the ground. Now you have a great hand hold, and a nice big eye loop on the hook to hook your Berkley or Normark, etc, electronic scale to.

Lift the fish by thumb and jaw or by hook to the vertical. Often the fish will bounce once or twice during her position change. But, no problem...you're holding the fish and it is not trashing your scale. When the fish is quiet, transfer the weight from your hand hold onto the scale and hook. Read the number. Notice you don't have to squint trying to read between the lines on a Boga grip.

You're done. Slip the tuna hook out from the lower jaw and release your fish.

Bonds to all who release these great fish.

Half a minute is plenty of time for a kodak moment. Tell the cameraman to hold the shutter button down till the fish is back in the water. One of those pictures is bound to come out a winner.

View PostHalf a minute is plenty of time for a kodak moment. Tell the cameraman to hold the shutter button down till the fish is back in the water. One of those pictures is bound to come out a winner.

I fish alone, so I usually just snap a few on the rocks.....

I was just trying to judge a fair timeframe that is okay for the fish. Minus the fact that hooking and fighting the fish to shore alone isn't exactly the fishes idea of a good time....

View PostHold your breath when you take it out of the water and don't breath until it is back in.

If you drop dead, then maybe it was too long.

Catch'm up.

Helpful and nice. icon14.gif

Should not take more than a couple of minutes to unhook, measure length and girth and take a quick pic or two. Spend a couple of minutes to make sure the fish is revived and ready to return, she will let you know when she is ready to go back.

One other thing, while you are trying to do all these things quickly don't slip and break your butt or skull. Be safe, we want fish pictures not hospital reports.

View PostShould not take more than a couple of minutes to unhook, measure length and girth and take a quick pic or two. Spend a couple of minutes to make sure the fish is revived and ready to return, she will let you know when she is ready to go back.

One other thing, while you are trying to do all these things quickly don't slip and break your butt or skull. Be safe, we want fish pictures not hospital reports.

Okay..this is more what I'm looking for.

I take all my stuff close to the water, so I don't need to crawl around too much for stuff. The rip rap on the Canal could end you with a bad fall if you hit your head on one of those pointy rocks.....cwm31.gif

Trying to document all the fish I am catching on the plugs I make too. It's pretty damn fun catching fish on plugs you make yourself, lol. I still get that..."omg.....I GOT ONE!!" feeling, lol.

Mokes,

Each situation is different and at time you can get all you want done and release the fish. When I am dealing with fish I want either a visual or measured memory I go to the, "How fast can I get this done" .

Tonight spread your tape measure out and find the reach of the area between your thumb and small finger tip. If your like me you'll have a standard point of measure on your hand. (Mine is 8 1/2") Now you have a ready tool right in your hand every time you fish. Second is to tape lengths on your rod that appeal to you Start at 45" and go by five inch marks. Lay your rod next to the fish and take a quick picture. Now if your in the rocks forget taking an exact measurement, snap a picture of that double jointed pencil poofer you made in his maul and release as fast as possible.

There is nothing wrong also to guestimate your fishes weight. Listen were not in no contests, exact weight is unnecessary. Take a guess and call it "around" x amount of weight. Your measurement will always back your guesstimate.

The whole idea is to get the fish back in the water as fast as possible. Kinda makes that hold your breath thing reasonable.

View PostKinda makes that hold your breath thing reasonable.

Good ideas actually, except this one.

Next thing you guys know, there's gonna be a RIP Mokes thread here, lol.

"He was a good guy...but god he was dumb...." frown.gif

View PostHelpful and nice. icon14.gif

Sorry if I affended you, but I was being a partial smart ass. My feelings are that if you intend to release a fish as healthy as possible, then your job is to release it as fast as possible. That doesn't include beaching it, measuring it and then suspending it by it's jaw (a part of it's body that did not have this in mind when it was designed).

I think that lots of people think that because a fish swims away, that it is healthy. Because it's tail made a big splah, it's doing great. I don't think that is necessarily the case.

All this is done after it just went through the fight of it's life.

I'm not telling you or anyone else what to do, but I believe the hold your breath rule. Sorry if it bothers anyone. Not preaching, just telling what I do. I get them back immediately. No pictures. No measuring. And no weighing.

Have fun

after a while it doesnt even matter anymore! just get em back in the water! unless you're gonna eat em! but who really wants to eat a 30!?? cwm13.gif

View PostSorry if I affended you, but I was being a partial smart ass. My feelings are that if you intend to release a fish as healthy as possible, then your job is to release it as fast as possible. That doesn't include beaching it, measuring it and then suspending it by it's jaw (a part of it's body that did not have this in mind when it was designed).

I think that lots of people think that because a fish swims away, that it is healthy. Because it's tail made a big splah, it's doing great. I don't think that is necessarily the case.

All this is done after it just went through the fight of it's life.

I'm not telling you or anyone else what to do, but I believe the hold your breath rule. Sorry if it bothers anyone. Not preaching, just telling what I do. I get them back immediately. No pictures. No measuring. And no weighing.

Have fun

On the Canal, you don't have the same luxuries as you would the beach. Just climbing down to the fish can be harrowing at best when the rocks are wet, or the area is hidden by seaweed.

I think what some of you are missing is the crux of the question. How long is too long. I'm looking for more scientific answers, not peoples desires. The bigger ones I'll snap pics of. The ones with MY plugs in thier maw will also get snapped until I get it out of my system....which may be never...or I lose my fingers to a bandsaw accident.....

I smoke...I'm not holding my breath too long man......

View Postafter a while it doesnt even matter anymore! just get em back in the water! unless you're gonna eat em! but who really wants to eat a 30!?? cwm13.gif

I don't live at the oceans edge, so of course it matters. It's mattered for the last 10 years, and I doubt it's going to stop. It's a nice thing to have a folder full of fishing pics to get me throught the winter.

Never ate a 30. I'll let you know how it goes when I get one.biggrin.gif

I agree with marking your rod. I do 40", 45" and 50". Use whatever your goal is. I very rarely weigh a fish unless I plan on eaing it and I usually do that to smaller fish. Good luck!

Hey Mokes, I caught a fish a few years back. From the spot I caught it to the tackle shop was about a half hour. Loading up the boat, driving in traffic, etc. Got the fish weighed for a local tackle shop contest. Filled out paper work, drove home, wrap it in a wet towel and stick it in the freezer to get mounted.

From time of catch to the freezer, about 1 hour. After ten minutes in the freezer, I opened the door to show my wife, it was still floppin'. Some fish can stay out of water longer than people think. And i'm sure after you take those nice plugs you make out of thier mouths, you help them out a little in the water and let them lose.