Salmonfly11

Fly Fishing near Ocean City, MD????

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I've been offered a last-minute chance to take an open week at a friend's Ocean City, MD condo. I'm leaving tomorrow, so things are a little rushed. I'd like to make this a fishing trip, but I don't know the area that well. Do any of you guys fly fish Del/Mar/Va? Can anyone offer me advice regarding potential locations to fish from shore with a fly rod? I'm open to trying the surf or back bays, I just need somewhere that will be fly rod friendly. I don't want any secret spots, just general locations. Thanks a million.

-Zack

Welcome Salmonfly.There are a few of us here that fish the Delmarva area.In OC I would check out Stinky Beach.Its just west of OC off Golf Course Road.Be careful wading here as it drops off quickly.Any access to the bay side should be checked out also.I fish Delaware so you might want to try Indian River Inlet.This is primarily jetty fishing or surf.Wear korkers if you fish the jetty.All the tackle shops carry them.There are plenty of blues around as well as trout and stripers.Bring Clousers,decievers,poppers and surf candies.Usual colors like white,chartreuse and white,yellow and white,ect.You should have no problems finding fish or spots to fish.Also check out Delmarva Sports on RT50 just outside OC.They flyfish and can help guide you to other areas.Good luck.

Zack, Welcome to the fly forum of SOL!

Skip gave you some sound advice .... I would focus on the two inlets. (Ocean City and Indian River) Fish them at night with flies that breathe on their own.

I just came back from that area (Lewes/IRI) today and the tides are good for late night/early AM fishing this weekend. I will be going back down tomorrow night to give it a go.

Salmonfly,

The fishing reports I have been recieving from guys fishing the flats near the cape henlopen pier and Lewes beach look good. Ther catching flounder, trout and small blues. I run up there from Fenwick Island, it's about 26 miles so its not right around the corner but usually worth the trip. Best time is dawn or dusk.

If you decide to go up there follow the CapeMay - Lewes Ferry signs. Cape Henlopen is just past the terminal entrance.

good luck.

Almost 13 years later and I have this exact question.  I am going to OCMD this weekend and would like to take the 8wt.  Any suggestions that are different from these?

Many thanks,

Tom

I think that Skip S is still on the money with the locations and fly selection. They were a month warmer so you might not be as productive but they are catching at IRI. Good luck.