Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Onelastcast

VS200 and VS250

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

View PostI think the 200 is just as versitile, just depends on what you are going to do with it. Beefier 9'ers are sweet with a 200, and you could definitley get away with a 200 on a lighter 11'er, I think its perfect on 10'ers. Theres no such thing as "this size VS is for this length rod" Good choice, Im sure you will be happy with it. beers.gif

-Al

Thanks Al,

That pretty much would sum up my usage.

J

k where are your fishing generally because if you are fishing in new jersey you really do not need anything bigger than the 200. the 250 is huge reel and i had a long talk with a bunch of my fishing buddies and the guys at the tackle shop and they agree. the 250 is something that is prob best suited f your in montauk. but montauk is a very unique place and should not be taken into account unless you fish there like every weekend.

View Postk where are your fishing generally because if you are fishing in new jersey you really do not need anything bigger than the 200. the 250 is huge reel and i had a long talk with a bunch of my fishing buddies and the guys at the tackle shop and they agree. the 250 is something that is prob best suited f your in montauk. but montauk is a very unique place and should not be taken into account unless you fish there like every weekend.

I do bays, inlets, south shore and rockaway beaches etc... That 200 appears like it's going to be plenty. For the most part the general concensus is the 200 on a 10 with the excpetion of some who like the bigger reel, faster retrieve, the ability to pair on longer and heavier rods and to fish for larger game without concern.

I do bays, inlets, south shore and rockaway beaches etc... That 200 appears like it's going to be plenty. For the most part the general concensus is the 200 on a 10 with the excpetion of some who like the bigger reel, faster retrieve, the ability to pair on longer and heavier rods and to fish for larger game without concern.

the 200 is going to be perfect and you could prob even go to the 150 if you wanted to. i actually just started my van staal fund so i can afford a 200. so i will prob get mine in the spring

View Postk where are your fishing generally because if you are fishing in new jersey you really do not need anything bigger than the 200. the 250 is huge reel and i had a long talk with a bunch of my fishing buddies and the guys at the tackle shop and they agree. the 250 is something that is prob best suited f your in montauk. but montauk is a very unique place and should not be taken into account unless you fish there like every weekend.

Why, may I ask would the difference in the two sizes be bettere suited for Montauk?

I have been struggling with this question, and I am lucky enough to have a friend that loaned me both while he is recovering from shoulder surgery. However I am using them on a very light 11' rod (xra1321-2). I would have bet a million dollars that I would heve chosen the 200, because I like light. I have fished buckails up to 4 hours with the 250, and love it. It feels like the retrieve, even tough only a couple inches more per turn is less taxing on a hurried crank. It just feels more comfortable.

I can say that the 200 is before the external counter weight, and that may take away from the comfort. I don't know.

I'll take a half dozen of each.

Good luck.

View Post1.5 oz does not seem much but it's swing weight that is important to. If you fish for 6 hour sessions then that 1.5 oz will mean a lot. The VS 200 is physically smaller and that again helps handling both when working the lure and when casting. I use my 200 for Lami 10 foot and lami 11 foot. the 200 holds 400 yards of 40lb braided line and it will cast almost as far as a 250.

If you are going to be using mostly a 10 foot pole why use more reel than you really need. I have never felt the need for a 250 on any of my rods.

Mike

Thanks Mike, didn't see your post, your good advice taken.

Thanks again, J

View PostThanks Mike, didn't see your post, your good advice taken.

Thanks again, J

Hi J,

I always get a bit nervous when offering an opinion on such an expensive piece of gear. I know whats right for me but that does not say it will be right for others.

If you have any chance to get to cast a 200 and a 250 on your rods that will help make up your mind totally.

I have seen more than a few Sharpies casting 10 foot GSB1201M with a VS250. It really comes down to personal choice. I am only a little Guy 5 foot 8 inches so the VS200 suited me fine in every respect.

One day when I have the money I will buy a 250 myself to play around with, but that will be a while at least.

Mike

View PostHi J,

I always get a bit nervous when offering an opinion on such an expensive piece of gear. I know whats right for me but that does not say it will be right for others.

If you have any chance to get to cast a 200 and a 250 on your rods that will help make up your mind totally.

I have seen more than a few Sharpies casting 10 foot GSB1201M with a VS250. It really comes down to personal choice. I am only a little Guy 5 foot 8 inches so the VS200 suited me fine in every respect.

One day when I have the money I will buy a 250 myself to play around with, but that will be a while at least.

Mike

Mike, too late, you convinced me to get the 200, can't take it back. If I don't like it you're only one to blame. biggrin.gif

Your opinion was very sound. I could go either way. Like I tell my friends one size doesn't fit all, because if it did why do I have so much gear. I had to decide and between the two because the seller gave me a choice. Real nice guy giving me the option even though he was leaning towards keeping the 250. That being the case it made it even easier going with the 200, which the masses seem to agree on, and the fact that he had a need for the 250.

Thanks again for your opinion and don't stop giving it, as long as I don't fish the 250 I wont know what I'm missing.

James

You will be happy with the 200. I have the 200 on both my 10ft's and it is light. I fish from Long Beach to Montauk with it. And never had any issues with that set up. I can cast all day & all night without tiring out. You will be happy with it.

Chigger

Why, may I ask would the difference in the two sizes be bettere suited for Montauk?

the reason i say the 250 is more for montuak is because if you fish there consistently you are going to be running into larger fish(more frequently) and also because of the gear ratio you can really fish pencil poppers and stuff really fast which is need in montuak. The type of fishing you do consistently in montauk requires the bigger real. and this isnt even my original thought it was paulies from pauilies bait and tackle in montuak.

View PostYou will be happy with the 200. I have the 200 on both my 10ft's and it is light. I fish from Long Beach to Montauk with it. And never had any issues with that set up. I can cast all day & all night without tiring out. You will be happy with it.

Thanks for the confirmation Frank, same area's I fish. I'll repost in the future with my thoughts after I fish it for the first time

View Postthe reason i say the 250 is more for montuak is because if you fish there consistently you are going to be running into larger fish(more frequently) and also because of the gear ratio you can really fish pencil poppers and stuff really fast which is need in montuak. The type of fishing you do consistently in montauk requires the bigger real. and this isnt even my original thought it was paulies from pauilies bait and tackle in montuak.

The gear ratio on both the 200 & 250 are the same 4.25/1 The only thing that is different is the line retrieve 33.5 /turn on the 200 & 36.5 on the 250 cause of the wider spool.

View Postthe reason i say the 250 is more for montuak is because if you fish there consistently you are going to be running into larger fish(more frequently) and also because of the gear ratio you can really fish pencil poppers and stuff really fast which is need in montuak. The type of fishing you do consistently in montauk requires the bigger real. and this isnt even my original thought it was paulies from pauilies bait and tackle in montuak.

a317adams,

I don't find it an issue to crank my 200 fast enough to fish Pencil,Poppers or any other lure. The 250 is no stronger than the 200. I don't always agree with my Mate Paulie either. But it is a personal choice thing. I do most of my fishing in M and my 200 is beat to crap but battles on.

My philosophy is always to use as light an outfit as possible but one that still stays fit for purpose. It's a tight choice between the two reels always will be. No right or wrong just personal preference.

Mike

View Post

My philosophy is always to use as light an outfit as possible but one that still stays fit for purpose.

Mike

I have to agree, isn't that just conventional wisdom.

BTW, your beginning to sound like Confuciouscwm27.gif

Different note: picked up my vs200 yesterday from a super nice guy. What a sweet reel, gonna be a few days before I can put it on my Lami to check the feel. If I don't like it gonna fly to the UK or drive to M to find Mike.biggrin.gif