Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
breezybass

jetty rod and reels

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

i am looking for some opinions on a rod and reel to fish off a jetty

i will be throwing plugs and bucktails.im thinking of a nine foot gsb108m

i am undecided on spinning or conventional most of the people there are using van staals but most people say conventional is better on the jetty but havent seen anyone using one what would be a good spinner and what would be a good conventional levelwind.

thanks

1081M is a good jetty stick. abu 6500 is a good choice as far as conventionals go, but its really personal preference between that and spinning. There is no need for a van staal for the jettys. There are alot of spinning reels out there that will fit your needs, but i mostly use penn z's and nautils (both no longer made though )

1081M would be a good choice as well as a MB1083m or 114 or BT1083m these are glass and can take a beating. Seeker makes some great jetty sticks some blanks are factory made and are called the Northeast Surf Series. The thing about glass or Composite glass/graphite is you can horse fish and beat on the rod a bit more then an all graphite. You also would be best sticking with a 8' to 9' a 10' would be ok.

If you are good at conventional then it would be fine but you limit yourself on what you can throw. I find it near impossiable to throw below 1 1/2 oz with a Conv, reel so small bombers and bucktails aren't going to be thrown. I would go with a spinner it's just less of a PIA to use and your not as limited.

i wouldnt really go any bigger then 9ft for jetty fishing. if you want a good set of combos i use are a 9ft st. croix mojo surf spinning rod or a 10 mojo surf casting rod, spinning reel sustain 6000 fe, conventional calcutta 400vsb i use both, great combos, my baby that i use all the time is my custom st. croix legend it was 10ft cut it down to 8ft 10inches, and a penn torque 200 or a shimano trinidad 14. all these reels are killer at casting. i customized everyone, bearings,spools,spool bearings,drags,gear sets,clutches etc.

View Post

If you are good at conventional then it would be fine but you limit yourself on what you can throw. I find it near impossiable to throw below 1 1/2 oz with a Conv, reel so small bombers and bucktails aren't going to be thrown. I would go with a spinner it's just less of a PIA to use and your not as limited.

not true at all. I regularly throw bombers and other plugs under an ounce. heck, i'll even fish 1/2oz mambo minnows on my jetty stick (1201L or a 1088) with an abu 6500...

lamiglas_logo.gifSurf & Jetty Rods

I've had alot of success fishing a XS91MHS over the years.. Good Jersey Jetty Rod for tossing small lures and bucktails... It takes a beating and it also preforms pretty well along the beach if you like moderate rods...

As for a reel,, I have mine matched up with a VS150.. Excellent Combo

are you talking about a jetty, meaning a single jetty not a jetty at an inlet etc?

Big difference in suggestions if you are talking a regular singular jetty versus one that is at the mouth of an inlet/breachway which has considerable tidal movements etc...

View Postnot true at all. I regularly throw bombers and other plugs under an ounce. heck, i'll even fish 1/2oz mambo minnows on my jetty stick (1201L or a 1088) with an abu 6500...

Your one of the exceptions.. I find it to be a hugh PIA and couldn't be bothered. For most I think it is limiting unless you throw conventional 95% of the time. I have a hard time with level winds period.. hate them. I have them and use them but would rather throw my suped up Surfmaster narrow or 525. My thumb is just trained and levelwind gets in my way.. or I get in it's way.. Anymore I'll use conventional only for heavy work, Bait, large jigs and eels..

View Posti am looking for some opinions on a rod and reel to fish off a jetty

i will be throwing plugs and bucktails.im thinking of a nine foot gsb108m

i am undecided on spinning or conventional most of the people there are using van staals but most people say conventional is better on the jetty but havent seen anyone using one what would be a good spinner and what would be a good conventional levelwind.

thanks

What kind of depth & current does your particular jetty have? Do you need to throw more than 3 oz jigs? What are your fish landing spots like - do you need to hoist up 10# blues & schoolies, or will you lip your fish, or use a gaff, etc? This will help you make that decision on whether you need a more powerful heavy action rod or a lighter action rod.

I think that for a jetty at an inlet you are going to want a something bigger than an 8-9 footer. It depends somewhat on how far you want to cast your plug or bucktail. At the inlets where I fish distance is important, you want to get out to where the main channel is located. Plus what is the prevailing wind, if it's in your face a lot then you need a rod that you can lean on to get your offering out to where you want it. I have a 10 ft Dblue that is my favorite but when I know that will have to be casting 3oz and shooting for distance I have a GSB 132 or an 11ft Tsunami Airwave that I will use. The GSB is considerably heavier and I like the Airwave better if I am going to be casting for several hours. As far as a reel goes if you're not going to be dunking it there are many possibilities and whatever you get will be determined by whether distance is a factor. Think Emblem Pro or one of the Tica reels if distance is important.

I only fish conventional gear, so I won't comment on spinners. I like a medium(9-10 foot) glass rod for inlet jetties. They don't die if you drop them on the rocks and most have the stones to lift small to medium fish without going all the way down to the water. If you have a ripping current, you're going to want a strong drag and heavy line, so a small Abu levelwind might be a little weak for you. I'd recommend a 7000 size Abu, or better yet, a levelwind Daiwa Saltist.