Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chigger

Has anyone ever done a casting comparison between the different size VS reels?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Bump

I'm surprised if nobody has taken the time to test the distance differences. So many people talk about added distance (which I believe, just no numbers).

Thanks if you got info and thanks if you don't.

In theory the bigger spool sizes should give you better distance, I dont think the quarter inch difference between say a 200 and 250 is going to be that noticeable though.

View PostIn theory the bigger spool sizes should give you better distance, I dont think the quarter inch difference between say a 200 and 250 is going to be that noticeable though.

I'll go with Al on this one. Bigger the diameter bigger the distance. I have experimented with other reels in a series and found this to be the case.

Thanks guys.

I was hoping that someone did one of those side by side, same braid, rod, lure things where you can say "I got ten more yards wen throwing this bla bla bla..."

Sorry if I'm asking a lot, but this site is full of experimenters and I thought maybe someone has done it.

Any info is appreciated, and keep it comin.

I noticed a difference be between the 100 and 150. Also on a good cast the 100 was "running out of line", plenty left but the resistance on the outgoing line would increase as you get deeper into the spool, with the 150 plenty of line left after a far cast.

Now going to a 200 vs a 150 would be interesting to see if there is anything to gain for the added weight and cost.

View PostIn theory the bigger spool sizes should give you better distance, I dont think the quarter inch difference between say a 200 and 250 is going to be that noticeable though.

Distance enhancement for spinners follows spool height more than diameter.

For braid I prefer the smallest diameter and a tall spool; that combo rather than short and wide = distance and better rod performance (you can use smaller, lighter guide systems).

A few years ago Connman did some side by side test with a few reels, VS included . . . I'll see if i can find it.

View PostDistance enhancement for spinners follows spool height more than diameter.

For braid I prefer the smallest diameter and a tall spool; that combo rather than short and wide = distance and better rod performance (you can use smaller, lighter guide systems).

A few years ago Connman did some side by side test with a few reels, VS included . . . I'll see if i can find it.

Makes sense, you would know better than me bud beers.gif

By no means is the VS a reel you look too when your looking at getting maximum casting distance.The VS is a great reel that could take a beating, get dunked,has adequate distance and is reliable even with minimal maintenance, but its not a distance reel by any stretch. I am assuming people already know this, so this is for the guys that dont.smile.gif

View PostBy no means is the VS a reel you look too when your looking at getting maximum casting distance.The VS is a great reel that could take a beating, get dunked,has adequate distance and is reliable even with minimal maintenance, but its not a distance reel by any stretch. I am assuming people already know this, so this is for the guys that dont.smile.gif

Yes I do know this. I'm looking for the difference within the brand.

Thanks

View PostBy no means is the VS a reel you look too when your looking at getting maximum casting distance.The VS is a great reel that could take a beating, get dunked,has adequate distance and is reliable even with minimal maintenance, but its not a distance reel by any stretch. I am assuming people already know this, so this is for the guys that dont.smile.gif

The purpose of my test at the time was to disprove this myth that VS were not good distance reels . It wasn't the most entensive testing at the time as I was post shoulder surgery and had a surrogate caster perform the casts .The comparison was a daiwa ss2600 v a VS250 . Low and behold the VS outcast the much liked and highly regarded for plugging distance reel the ss2600.

Not the most perfect comparison and they are not apples to apples usage but the VS did very well putting a plug (I think super strike popper) out about 350'

View PostThe purpose of my test at the time was to disprove this myth that VS were not good distance reels . It wasn't the most entensive testing at the time as I was post shoulder surgery and had a surrogate caster perform the casts .The comparison was a daiwa ss2600 v a VS250 . Low and behold the VS outcast the much liked and highly regarded for plugging distance reel the ss2600.

Not the most perfect comparison and they are not apples to apples usage but the VS did very well putting a plug (I think super strike popper) out about 350'

Thats a very respectable cast.