Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldschool77

The one thing I can't stand about Super Strike...

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

are the dang hooks!mad.gif

Out of all the plug makers I have purchased from these are the only plugs which are worth their weight in gold in my bag but the cheap hooks can't even sit idle in my bag a day or two after a freshwater rinse without showing light to moderate rust/corrosion. I have transparent needles that over a large span of time have had through wires get a bit rusty after dozens of outings which is fine...but why are SS hooks so brittle and rustworthy? confused.gif It is like putting cheap PepBoys tires on a Lamborghini. You have one of the most consistent, best action and predictable fish catching lures on the market but the dang hooks last 5 minutes in the saltwater. I would gladly pay the extra scratch as most folks would...but SS still sells these with inferior hooks? All hooks (yes VMC's of course) will rust but not like the hooks (Mustads?) on these. I love heart.gifheart.gifheart.gifheart.gif my SS lures to death but it is like second nature for me to buy tons of SS lures at my shop, purchasing a ton of VMC trebles, and spend time ripping out the hooks.

The only reason I bothered with this mini rant is my heavy needles which I bought brand new 3 weeks ago are toast after 12 outings and I broke a rusted hook simple untangling it in my bag.

Not going to cry but how much could VMC's hardware elevate the cost per lure?

I know its a cost issue but I've never understood the cheap hooks on the plugs either. The first thing most people do is change them out. Its not a big deal but it is a minor pain in the butt.

It is interesting to me. Not sure the thought process behind it.

I have hooks on some of mine for four years now, but I have also broken hooks off of a darter just untangling it (like po said).

It shows my laziness of course, cause I know they should be changed.

It is fascinating to me that someone works so hard to make some of the best plugs out there. This company is legendary, yet they would have this simple spot on their record.

I'd love to hear teir answer to this question.

But shame on me if I don't change them out knowing what the outcome will be.

More than likely the fact that VMC doesen't make an open eye treble. Can you imagine having to cut all those trebles. Split rings also create the same issue.

I wish they would just package the lures without hooks and i'll take care the riggingwink.gif .

Marc

View PostMore than likely the fact that VMC doesen't make an open eye treble. Can you imagine having to cut all those trebles. Split rings also create the same issue.

I wish they would just package the lures without hooks and i'll take care the riggingwink.gif .

Marc

I know, makes sense. I have saved up some used plastic containers (OJ or v-C bottles) just to put all the broken off crappy hooks in that you get with cordells, SS, JM, etc. It's just wasteful- nobody really uses those hooks right out of the bag- or not for long.

Super Strike makes the best plugs out there. Every model - catches fish, casts well, action is very consistant from plug to plug, they are are virtually indestructible, they have every color you could want and they are around $16. The hooks suck, that's no secret. Make a great plug even better, change the hooks to VMC as soon as you open the package.

I am glad ther are others who felt the same. I want to say I would never EVER bash my favorite plugs in the UNIVERSE but I think their price is reasonable enough that putting better through wires and hooks would be a tremendous improvement on an already perfect lure. What would be better than that?

I bash them against jetties and rock gardens, toothy bluefish knash their teeth, the finish lasts forever and takes a serious beat down with never more then a scratch but the hardware (particularly the hooks) is all that ever fails me.

If they put VMC's without split rings I can't think of a single better plastic plug for the money. Until then I'll simply chuck the stockers.

View PostI wish they would just sell them unrigged. its a pia breaking all those junk hooks off and disposing of them.

That is another good idea...chop a few bucks off and just let me do what I want with it...

The thought process is most like the car business...throw on cheap tires to keep the cost down knowing the consumer won't get much out of them.