Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FenderBender

Fish Finder Rigs

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

FISH FINDER RIGS for Linesiders!?

I hear and see so much about 'em but can't get a handle on what is best for the central Jersey surf. What do you guys use/do? Do you buy 'em or tie 'em yourself? Do you use mono or flouro, what size hooks, barrels and snaps, line lengths, floats/no floats, general configuration and what is your favorite bait for what time of year? I know it's a lot to ask but, SOL is THE PLACE to learn. Thanks in advance.

Not specific to south jersey, but I prefer to use the following to fish cut bait on a fishfinder.

6/0 Siwash hook and 90 lb barrel swivel attached with no more than 12" of heavy mono (like 80 or 100) and palomar knots on either end. The short leader keeps the bait and the sinker close together on the cast and helps avoid tangles. Flouro is too expensive and not of any value as far as I can see. Floats appear ineffective to me in most situations and again cut down on distance. (Use them with worms though). If you want to try something different use the Mustad 13/0 circle hook and let the fish hook themselves.

Steve

down hatteras way, the rig tends to be a bit shorter. 125# mono leader with about 3 inches between the 7/0 Gami' circle hook. because it is so short, I usually snell the hook and crimp the 100# barrel swivel on with a double 1.2mm sleeve. because of the current and the fact that the baits and weights tend to roll, i don't buy the nylon sleeve, but instead use a #150 swivel with a McMahon snap, or a coast lock, as the McMahon are no longer being made. the reason for the shortness is to keep bait from helicoptering as it goes out. most of the time it take a nice cast to get into the drum on a regular basis. not like the short casting that John M did on his recent visit. :^)

in many years of drum and striper fishing down here, i have never had a problem with the shortness of the leader. hope this helps....

This Jersey Shore Clam Tossin' Tourist uses a homemade Hi-Lo Rig.

Top to Bottom:

1. <LI>Swivel

<LI>Next 40 to 60lb mono (because I'm too cheap to buy Floro) 5ft. Length

<LI>at the 1' mark I make a 6" Dropper Loop

<LI>Again a 1ft Length

<LI>Another 6" Dropper Loop

<LI>Another 1ft Length

<LI>Weight Swivel (I forget what you call them)

<LI>Pyramid Weight (2 - 8oz. Depending on Surf)

You can use Circle Hooks or Bait Hooks. It's up to you. Push the Dropper Loop thru the eye and you're ready to go.

I like the Hi-Lo Rig because everything is going in the same direction when you cast. I also find that the fishfinder always loops around and tangles itself on the Line with the Bait hook.

------------------

fishguy.gif

Berkeley Striper Club...Seaside Park, NJ

[This message has been edited by Arby (edited 05-02-2001).]

I would recommend Arby's rig with circle hooks. I used to use fish-finders with baitholders, but this year I switched to hi-lo and circles and have seen a considerable difference in fish hooked and landed.

luke

I do twisted droppers on my high/lows- I think the stiffness imparted by this type of dropper keeps the hook/bait away from the main line when your heaving. And a swivel for the sinker is a must, no?

I'm glad everyone is able to admit that they are baitcasters here. We are not sub-class/low-par for being confident in our fishing approach, despite what pluggers say. We have, ala Stewart Smalley, our self-respect and we're darn proud of it!!

Fender,

Real good advice above, i would only add that you need to tinker around with leader length sometimes, ilike to go with as long as possible with out gettin all tangled up and the amount of surf usually dictates that for me since casting 100 yds isn't normally necessary for me.

the other recommendation i can give is to stay away from store bought tied rigs, they may work but do you trust their knots??? i only trust my knots!! at least then if it fails it's my fault. smile.gif

High\\Low primarily with Clams only for me. I always use a fish finder with chunks. I use a very long leader most of the time. It does restrict the cast a bit but where I fish it's 25 feet deep 25 yards off the beach.. smile.gif Oh yeah, I've never had a tangle with my leader and main line.. But then again, I'm fishing the toilet AKA raritan bay..

ErikT

Hope I'm not breaking any major rules here but... there is an excellent diagram in **************** that shows hi/low rig (I myself haven't used it but...)

Mudman