Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JayC

New Roof...is this normal for 2 layers.

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Thats definitely a rake edge. Like plug said, if that starter on the rake is out like an inch or more like it looks like, then those shingles will more than likely bend down over the rake. That wont look good. I like my rakes to extend about 1/2''. It looks good and gives the shingle good support. I like to put new drip edge all around as well on a lay over.

I also agree its never a good idea to add a second layer. A lot of the times people do it because they are going to be selling the house soon and its for cosmetic reasons, but its not really fixing a lot of the problems that occur.

As for Gregs question I have noticed that the top layer tends to dry out and crack after around 10 years..So yes it most certainly cuts the life of the shingles dramatically

Thank you everyone, I will pass this information onto my friend. I appreciate all your help.

I wish I new about the 2 layers being not such a great idea. I had my roof done about 9 years ago by a local company that's been in business for about 30 years. They gave me a 10year warranty on labor and 25 on shingles. My roof looked good from day 1, but it started to leak near one of the valley's about 1 year later. The company came right over and tried to fix it by putting in a new liner down the valley and it didn't work. Turned out once we used a garden hose on the roof that it was actually a nail that popped about 10ft from the valley. It's been good for about 8 years now, but what a pain in the butt trying to figure that leak out, They probably came over 3-4 times before they found it. If I was to do it all again, I'd have piad the extra $1500 and have the first layer ripped off and start from scratch. Hopefully the roof I have lasts another 10 years. Only time will tell, but I'm happy with the job now. It still looks great to me. I didn't have any of the cosmetic wavy stuff like my friend has. Different companies also.

Thanks again for all your insight.

Jay

Mind explaining what a "Sealer strip" is ? headscratch.gif

I always used a 1" over hang all the way around with the starter and roof courses to the edge of the starter usually about 1/8th inch less makes for a better visual from the ground (less ragged edges ) , drip edge all the way around.

is there an actual purpose for a little shingle overhang?my roof has about 1/2-3/4" all around and i dont like the way it looks.up the gable walls you can see that whoever did the roof wasnt perfect on there cuts and it shows.im going over the roof starting this weekend and plan to keep the shingles flush with the dripedge.

View Postis there an actual purpose for a little shingle overhang?my roof has about 1/2-3/4" all around and i dont like the way it looks.up the gable walls you can see that whoever did the roof wasnt perfect on there cuts and it shows.im going over the roof starting this weekend and plan to keep the shingles flush with the dripedge.

are you going over your old roof or are you stripping it down to bare plywood, i would never go over an old roof on my own house, start from scratch it will last longer,

im going over the existing roof.the shingles on there now are 3 tab and are in pretty good shape.the plywood looks fine from the attic.i dont know if i can swing the dumpster cost so thats the main reason that im going over it.

View Posti probably should strip it..any idea how big of a dumpster i would need if i striped it?there is about 12sq on the roof.

12 squares, you would need no more than a 15yrd dumpster, you actually could get away with a 10yrd if they have one,probably less than 1500 lbs of weight with only 12 sqr's, good luck

WOW,am i glad you guys convinced me to strip the roof.who ever did the original roof job half assed it..there was no ice and water shield anywhere on the roof,no felt paper was used.used the cheap 3 inch drip edge.what a hack job..i got the back of the house finished today and the front is striped ready for tomorrow and the mess is cleaned up..god i hate roofing..

View PostWOW,am i glad you guys convinced me to strip the roof.who ever did the original roof job half assed it..there was no ice and water shield anywhere on the roof,no felt paper was used.used the cheap 3 inch drip edge.what a hack job..i got the back of the house finished today and the front is striped ready for tomorrow and the mess is cleaned up..god i hate roofing..

I'm glad you took everyone's advice, that's why I can never warranty a go over,