Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JayC

New Roof...is this normal for 2 layers.

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Co-worker of mine had a second layer of shingles added about 3 weeks ago and has noticed a wavy appearance that isn't to his liking. I told him to take a few pics and I'd ask you guys what you thought. He approached his roofer and was told it's going to lay down flat with time. He did offer to cut back the 1st layer to the facia, but said it would void his warranty. To me it looks like he could have done a better job laying the shingles out to see which ones looked the best and contoured the roof line the best. I think he was in a rush. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems that way.

What do you think?? Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

here's my 2cents on this, 1st I never go over an old layer and if I do there is no warranty only because the manufacture won't back you up either, 2nd whenever I do roof I start my 1st course over the drip edge,never even with it, I always run a starter course around the perimeter anyways then my shingles themselves, my started course hangs over the drip edge by at least 3/4 of an inch on the fascia and 3/8 of an inch going up the rakes, that being said those shingles will probably lay down with some warm weather but I would like to see a roofer warranty there work going over someone else's it wouldn't happen up in my area that's for sure,smile.gif

The new Shingles are going to conform to the 'Old' Layer. If the 'old' were 'wavy', so will be the 'New'.

Oh, who ever did that 'Tin' Work should have his Fingers bent in his Brake.......shakehead.gif ......

If the new layer is 3 tab probably will lay over just like the first in time. Not so sure if they are the architectural type as they are laminated layers and stiffer. 1.5 is a lot to hang over the drip but he can probably check manufacturers instructions on line or shingle packaging if any of that around still. Roofer normally protect the drip edge from ladders so seems this guy was in a hurry.

one of the big problems I noticed is that the first layer isn't doubled up on the 1st course, there's your problem, nothing is supporting that 3 tab shingle from underneath and it is a architectural shingle that is on top off the 3 tab,

it will lay down, my daughters boyfriend is a roofer, he did mine and wheni saw it it was all up from the other shingles. I asked about it and he told me they would lat down after the sun heated themup a couple of times. that was in the beginning of the summer and now everythings fine and looks good. That piece by the edge looks like it was done by a ladder though.

That looks like a rake edge. I don't see the original roof at all. The bottom piece is a starter strip that he ran up the rake like he was supposed to, but he hung it over way to far.

It's sure not going to get any better. In time heat will make the shingles bend down too, like the Starter Strip, but that's not going to be a great look either.

My guess is the original roof is under the starter strip you see bending way down. They make a metal piece that he should have installed over the original roof before the starter strip and then hung it over 1/2 Max on the rakes.

Unless you really need to save a buck, installing a second layer is never a good idea IMO.