Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chigger

AAnybody put pork trailer on metal lures?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Would love to hear fromsome folks on the subject.

What lure and what traier and in what conditions.

And anything else you want to share.

Thanks

I'll give my little brother credit for this one- we were fishing a couple weekends ago and were getting bumps from these little blues (like 1-2 pounds) but they weren't taking the lure.

So he takes an A-OK T-Hex and sticks a small pork rind on the hook.

Guy starts catching fish. I'm fishing the same T-Hex 5 feet away and get shut out. A few little bumps but no fish.

So there is at least something to it- it can work.

Used The Hopkins 338 hammered stainless trolling spoons with either yellow or white rind for blues with great success! Also used squid strips, but the rind seemed tougher!

The 338 was discontinued long ago, but they show up on Ebay now and again.

Grab them when you can find them!

Thanks guys.

Read it in a book written by a gentleman who was surf fishing when these lures where the norn and not as well as what is in our bags today. He said that practice was stanard, but didn't go into specifics.

Any wisdom from anyone is appreciated.

I love this style of fishing. Tins I mean.

I use to fish tins a lot and I would dress them. It can slow the action of the tin and rob a bit of distance but the pork will provide it's own action. I use to make my own chum and I would soak my pork in bunker chum...yummy!

I like to mix and match different lures and plastics. There are endless combinations that you can experiment with.

For example, take an old jointed plug, remove the tail piece and using a split ring put a worm hook on it then use your favorite worm or part of a soft jerkbait for the tail piece. Sort of a hard lure with a plastic end.

While most people use their lures in the conventional way, many pros try variations to get that reaction bite. One of my favorite books,"Advanced Bass Fishing" is a series of articles written by different pros explaining this concept.

There were days when it seemed the fish had lockjaw, but then in desperation, I started to change up in unconventional ways, was when I started to get bites and catch fish.

Bottom line, don't be afraid to think outside of the box, experiment! You may discover that next hot lure.

pork and rubbers work when added to casting metals...

i guess it adds a bit more action to the shimmering metal.... porkers will last a while but be prepared to rig a new rubber on each hit... even for bass...

I never use bare tins when i carry kastmasters with green tubes on the hooks and white buck tail hooks in various sizs but I dont see why a pork rind wouldent work it may even have better action