SeaShoreNJ

Flies with spinning gear?

31 posts in this topic

not spinning gear

but in some southern rivers some guys use a popping bug fly on a cane pole

they left it drift to a likely spot-usually a stump

and pop it around

if a good size redbreast or bluegill is around, it will attack it

i do recall on youtube a guy catching brookeis with dry flies on a cane pole in tiny mountain creeks

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Beard View Post

All good advice .. Another dirty trick is to remove the rear hook from a Pop-R, Zara, or other topwater plug / stickbait, and attach a 1.5 - 3' leader to a fly (streamers/clousers/ bunny strip flies work nice) .. you can fish the plug as you normally would, and the trailing fly will have murderous action and get most of the bites.. wink.gif

thanks im going to have to try this, Ive only been using the casting bubble and flies, gonna try this tomorrow, thanks.

Basically the same as a casting bubble, but a Thingamabobber filled with just enough #6-10 split shot to where it still floats is IMO a better, more readily available and less expensive way to go. Thingamabobbers come in 1/2" to 1-1/4" diameters, just go with the smallest that will hold the casting weight you need.

One more thing to try...

If you use a casting egg / float and are tossing a dry fly, try to "over-cast" where you are targeting (a little) and try stopping the cast so that the fly will have a chance to carry farther than the float. It's how a good cast lands on the water with the fly line acting as the weight and the fly pulling the leader out (as straight as possible).

Sure, it's not an exact science, but it will probably achieve the desired results which are a dry fly ON the surface.

Or you could buy a tiny flyline designed specifically for a spin reel. These things got "Best in show" at one of the big American tackle conventions many many years ago. maybe even in the 80s. Then they just about vanished. Weirdly my dear old mum found a pack of the smallest and second smallest floating Statech spinfly lines in the second hand/charity shop she helps run a few months ago. They work. Stop the cast just as the line is hitting the water and the fly turns over perfectly, just as it would on a full length flyline. Allows for more delicate deliveries than a float/bobber. They really are a neat design and very well made. But quite pricey, which is maybe why they never apparently took off.

http://www.skipsoriginals.com/Spinfly_Line.html

A couple of more components in addition to the float or casting egg to consider would be a floating line like siglon or something similar.  This line will be easy to mend because it rides high on the surface.  It's fluorescent though so you'll probably want a short leader with something less visible ( not fluoro because it sinks ) with some floatant added to it.  

All good advice .. Another dirty trick is to remove the rear hook from a Pop-R, Zara, or other topwater plug / stickbait, and attach a 1.5 - 3' leader to a fly (streamers/clousers/ bunny strip flies work nice) .. you can fish the plug as you normally would, and the trailing fly will have murderous action and get most of the bites.. wink.gif

That's how I like to fish for Albies in the salt.We always used water bobbers as kids thay where clear plastic bobbers with a cork you add water for weight the fly of choice back then was a black ant.Caught a ton of trout on that set up.

FC

I've had my best luck with this rig. Of course you can use other topwater plugs as a casting weight besides the Rapala Floating Minnow, such as a Rebel, Pop R, Jitterbug, Tiny Torpedo, etc.

[ATTACHMENT=7203]Rapala Fly Rig.jpg (33k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattMc View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Beard View Post

+2, thats a great idea!

I must say:  I've tried the float idea.  I have never thought of this configuration!  That is an amazing idea and I'm gonna try it!  Thanks for the tip!

Ive seen a floating weighted float for this application. I think it was a surfcast supplier/company in CT. I never used one but it looked like something you could cast a mile and still have it float for a fly.

good luck

Thats how i steelhead fish,,,with my spinning reel and noodle rod,,,either bottom bouncing nymphs or float fishing different patterns of flies...Float fishing is awesome..check out Float fishing sites to give you a more detail how to taper your shot and read the water..>))>

Yep, A long steelhead rod or a center pin outfit to help keep your line above the water and mend your drift is a great way to present flies under floats and other lures like jigs for river trout and steelhead. It is tougher on small streams because of all the changes in depth. It is also a great way to deal with tackle restrictions on some bodies of water, however that depends on the state. Some states now require fly fishing gear as well as the fly and others just require a fly, a single hook or just artificial lures depending on the body of water.