Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SeaShoreNJ

Flies with spinning gear?

31 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if any of you guys have ever thrown flies with spinning gear and if that's even possible. I've been frequenting a place with a heavy topwater LMB bite. I haven't had much luck with the usual topwater suspects, I've been mostly catching on zoom worms, senkos, grubs. I've got a strong feeling that flies would kill here. The problem (other than me not having fly gear) is that there's heavy cover around the edges of the lake - not much overhead space for working a fly rod properly. Is it possible to throw flies with spinning gear? Maybe have the fly trailing a float for some weight?

what ever provides enough weight for your rig to be able to cast.

Do you mean flies as in bait fish imatations, or literal flies, terrestrials, etc..??

i'm sure with xlight weight spinning gear you can through a clouser, or a popper easily. not far though.

or tie a 'teaser' in front of your lure...use a small rapala and tie a flie teaser.

or use a low wt. fly set up and roll cast out, or get a canoe on the waters and open up your space...nothin more annoying than limited shore access in freshwater imo

Good suggestions, guys, thanks.

Bunk, I'm talking about literal flies that will sit on the surface. I'm thinking this is exactly what these LMB are after... their eyes are definitely on the surface and they haven't been too keen on poppers, frogs, etc. I'm thinking they're hitting flies. And I agree with you about the canoe... having no boat on most FW places by me sucks.

I think I'll try a weighted float.

Caught a 13 inch native Brookie casting a size 14 BWO on my spinning rod last summer. I had a couple large split shot about 5 feet above the fly, man it took a LOT of casts to get the right drift without spooking the fish, but it worked. Like others said, a casting bubble is probably your best bet, fill it with water so it slowly sinks if your fishing a streamer or nymph and you're good to go. icon14.gif

Caught 100's of fish this way. Tie the fly to the end of you line & about 3' up attatch a bobber to help you cast. It works Trust me.

I fished this way years ago. Just cast out & reel in real slow & when you think your reeling it slow,SLOW DOWN!!

View PostCaught 100's of fish this way. Tie the fly to the end of you line & about 3' up attatch a bobber to help you cast. It works Trust me.

I fished this way years ago. Just cast out & reel in real slow & when you think your reeling it slow,SLOW DOWN!!

Im gona try that tommorow with a sandeel fly

All good advice .. Another dirty trick is to remove the rear hook from a Pop-R, Zara, or other topwater plug / stickbait, and attach a 1.5 - 3' leader to a fly (streamers/clousers/ bunny strip flies work nice) .. you can fish the plug as you normally would, and the trailing fly will have murderous action and get most of the bites.. wink.gif

View PostAll good advice .. Another dirty trick is to remove the rear hook from a Pop-R, Zara, or other topwater plug / stickbait, and attach a 1.5 - 3' leader to a fly (streamers/clousers/ bunny strip flies work nice) .. you can fish the plug as you normally would, and the trailing fly will have murderous action and get most of the bites.. wink.gif

hmmm, might try that next time i go out.. good idea clapping.gif

View PostAll good advice .. Another dirty trick is to remove the rear hook from a Pop-R, Zara, or other topwater plug / stickbait, and attach a 1.5 - 3' leader to a fly (streamers/clousers/ bunny strip flies work nice) .. you can fish the plug as you normally would, and the trailing fly will have murderous action and get most of the bites.. wink.gif

+2, thats a great idea!