Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeff Morris

Surfers while you are fishing.

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

What is the best way to handle this. If you get to the beach at dusk and they are out there you really can't cast into them, if your fishing at night and they get there at dawn and paddle out towards your line this is a different story. Plugging you can walk and toss, but dead sticking and surfers don't go together. This happened to me a few times this summer/fall. If you are tossin bait or lining eels and they head out right where you are fishing, do you try to hit them with 4oz pyramid?

[This message has been edited by Jeff Morris (edited 02-15-2002).]

We have a idiot that started to run a jetboat tourist ride in our big rip.We used to share our resource with white water yaks with total harmony as we used different areas at different times.This jet boat operator has been very arrogant and rude,bursting on the scene and feels that he owns the whole place.(we use only 10% of the area which is in 1 corner) Thank god he can only run during the day because it would be like any boat running through a school of feeding fish only a lot louder.He claims that the boat draws only inches and should not hurt the fish. Anyways,one time I held up a long finger when he went past with a boat load of tourists.They all started to wave back when I heard one of em yell "Dont wave its his finger"

Another time I was watching them go past and saw a few wave so I shot back with my customary salute.I didnt realize why they were so aware of our presence until I looked back at my buddy,he was waving a large white lunar smile in their direction!

What else can they expect,As much as I would like to drop a 2oz jig into the cockpit(I know that I could,even though my target is moving about 110mph) We all know that someone could get mortally wounded horsing around like that!

We went the whole 9yds,police,harbour master.Had many meeting with all user groups but still we cannot get a break from this guy.Sorry to go on ,I gave up and only go there at night.The silver lining is that I was forced to seek out other productive areas and became better for it!

I have been surfing and fishing for 40 years.

Countless times I have watched guys catch fish in the same water I and others were surfing in. Point is You are wrong,surfers do not affect your fishing. In Brigantine surfers and fisherman share the same beaches and both respect each other and enjoy themselves. Their is always goonna be some ignorant young kid who doesnt know any better who paddles out in front of a fisherman. And there will always be some ignorant fisherman who doesnt realize the injury that can result from a 4oz sinker.

Barrell

Ditto on what Winchmaster said. Lots of surfers drive too fast and run closed areas of the beach. But I see way too many fisherman do the same, and they should know better. As far as conflicts on the water I don't see it all that often in areas I fish. Its a big ocean, can't we all just get along? hammer-time.gif Actually I'm in awe of surfers, always wanted to try it.

at 41 and growing up at the shore I am both a surfer and a fisherman Its comes down to respect and common sense I have seen some bonehead moves by both surfers and fishermen I have had to call the cops to lock up a guy throwing lead at me off the pier at seaside while surfing so I know 1st hand what thats like luckly for fishermen the waves in jersey are lame for surfing most of the time so its not such a big deal but to the guys who do surf when the waves are good here in jersey its a BIG deal to the surfers who have to WAIT on nature to provide there fun and most times its a long long wait between good swells so what I am saying is try to bare with us when the surf is good and more than likly if you come back tommorrow the swell will be gone and so will all the surfers hey were just trying to have some fun hope this may shed some light on why surfers are so crazy to get into the water

I've been fortunate enough to come across courteous and considerate surfers in places like Long Island and Squibnocket Point (MV).

Communication is key, always shout a friendly hello, ask them where they want to surf, and 9 times out of 10 they'll try to stay out of your way. Always ask them "how's the water" or "you see anything out there," take an interest and they won't view you as a crotchety surfcaster.

In some cases these guys (and increasingly, a number of gals) will share good info with you, and I've even had one try to retrieve a lost plug of mine!

Sometimes, ya just gotta move.

Surfers have just as much a right to the beach as we do, there is a way to co-exist harmoniously. Communication, courtesy, and consideration usually goes both ways, maybe even in NJ!

-FWW

p.s. And no surfer in his/her right mind will surf in the middle of a bluefish blitz. And if they are, it's your duty to warn them of the danger. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by fishweewee (edited 02-16-2002).]

I used to surf quite a bit and I have to say surfers and surf fishermen have so much more in common than things to be at odds with.

What a perfect world you could have if you befriend the surfers and vice versa. Think about it, swapping surf wave reports, keeping an eye on each other's vehicles, etc.

There are slob in both camps to be sure, but if you look closely, most are just like us.

Now for the Jet Skiiers, I've always considered them to up to no good. Since September 11, obviously, every one of them could be a terrorist and should be delt with accordingly.

gadwall

I have to agree with the last few responses. Slashing tires, bait in vehicles, and shooting lead will just escalate the situation. Besides its illegal and irresponsible as your actions could be used against all fisherman accessing the beach.

The biggest conflicts usually come at Dawn. The fish are peaked at feeding ad the waves are glassy and smooth. I can understand both groups needs. In reality the structure usually can dictates who stays where. What I can't understand is the daytime clam chuckers. They seem to understand little about beach structure. Surfers need sandbars for surf to break. Now every so often there is a break in the bar, a sluice, channel whatever you want to call it. No waves break there. Every knowledgeable surfcaster knows that is where you should put your bait. So where do they set up? On the bar so they can watch the surfers? Makes no sense. That is why in my perfect world I would fish nights surf mornings, and sleep in the afternoon in a hammock under my campers awning. That's why I live for summer.

Still lookin for salt,

Shag