Neptune Drawback

Rate this topic

john hollenberg

One minor problem I have with the Neptune 7500 is that the line gets under the spool more then other reels. I took the 6500 out and because of the smaller spool the line seems to want get under the spool even more. Not a real problem just make sure there is not any slack line when you close the bail. Sort of threat it like a manual bail. Now i just got to catch a fish with it.

John, the spool does ride up pretty high at the top of the stroke, but I don't think I've had the braid get under it more than once since I've owned mine. Probably because after each cast, I pull a foot of line against the drag to make sure the braid is not going over the spool top. Perhaps doing the same with mono would save ya?

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

so far, i've only fished my nautil in the ditch with a strong rip pulling my line tight for me so i've never had the line caught under the spool...

i have lost a few jigs to the bail snapping shut, but i figgered out that problem and fixed it (i open the bail past the external trip, not before)

John H makes a good point about sort of treating the Neptune as if it was a manual bail.I think the term for the type of bail used on the Neptune's is a manual trip bail. When you throw stuff on the lighter end of the spectrum using braid you sometimes get overruns. Tim helped me long ago with the same advice he gave here. You just have to do it every time you cast until it becomes part of your casting routine.

John M, the other night I had a guy ask me why I was using a boat reel on the beach. wink.gif

KLE

[This message has been edited by KLE (edited 08-03-2001).]

John H, I had the same problem using braid the first day I used it. Do not hold the rod upright after a cast and turn the handle to close the bail as any slack in the braid will come down on the reel and get caught under the spool. Keep the rod in a horizontal position when closing the bail. It works for me! Prospector