Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimK

Tica rods?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I saw a vendor selling Tica rods at the hunting/fishing show in Raritan this past weekend. Anybody know anything about them? They looked like nice rods with decent hardware. They were also only $45. I didn't know anything about them but I was very tempted to pick one up, although I did not. Maybe I should have. Heck $45 is nothing for a rod these days.

jk

There's a ton of information and debate about these rods on this site. Just set aside an evening, do a key word search, pour yourself a big glass of whatever, and read to your little heart's content.

I beat the chit outta one this fall and it performed flawlessly. I was at a local store and I saw one for $50. I was like...ahhhh whatever. if it breaks fine, but its held up well (beyond well). its the 8' one piece rod rate from 17-25# line. and yeah...I got some nice fish on up to the upper 20s. it didnt flinch!

why do you think lami came out with the surf kings? the problem there was they did not have enough sense to make 1 piece rods in that line rolleyes.gif (yeah I know they cost more money).

I have heard of the eye problem, but my rod has no signs of any wear and tear. For $50 you cant beat it really

Pretty good rods for the money, IMHO. I bought the 11'-6" lightweight heaver this past season & was pleasantly surprised. No complaints so far. Yes they are made in China, but so are a lot of other products (including Lami Surf King series). Incidentally, guides do crack on "better" rods too - such as on my XS series Lami. wink.gif

very good rods for the money IMHO. I have 3. I noticed the 8 footer has a chip in the top eye after 2 years of heavy use, probably from my foolish habit of reeling the swivel into it in the dark all the time. I'll just replace the top eye. A bargain rod at $52.

I have 2, a 7 ft one piece and a 9ft 2 piece. The rods work great and the 7 ft. was replaced the first year for a broken guide. It is now 2 years old and still working. The 9 footer was purchased this fall and when I was cleaning up to put away this Dec. I found the guide is also broke. I am sure the rod will be replaced as the garun. is good.Both guides were the stripper guide.

Rick

Hey Jim,

I like Tica. Like everyone else has stated, ya can't beat the price and they are sturdy. I've gone thru a tip top but I am rough on my rods, do alot of jetty (what's left of them) fishing. So if it gets trashed in a few years I will just get another one.

PAP

Good rods, and I like them. I fished the 10' conventional (I paid $70) pretty hard last fall, and I was very happy with it. I wanted to upgrade to a slightly stronger rod to heave big weights and baits consistently, so I upgraded to the 11'6" conventional ($80). I've only done test casting with sinkers on it so far, but I like it. If I'm in heavy conditions, it'll throw 10 & bait all day without any effort, and it's still light enough to hold (non-spiking) for extended periods.

I also got the 10' spinning model ($70), which is the same blank as the 10' conventional. That will make a nice distance lure thrower and good second bait rod for light-medium conditions.

The one year guarantee I have should give me an adequate time period to tell if anything is going wrong with the rods.

I always look at where a product comes from out of both curiosity and concern, even if it's something small and seemingly "insignificant." To me, nothing is insignificant. The ubiquitous "made in China" situation grates on me as badly as on anyone, and I try to buy American whenever I can. I went with the Ticas because of the quality for the money, as my budget is limited these days. It seems that the quality is unusually high for that price point. If the guides go bad after the guarantees are over, I'll just get them replaced with something decent providing the blanks still have their integrity.

I have the 10' spinning and caught several hundred fish on it this fall. No problem with the eyes, but the eyes on each of my St. Croix's has chipped or cracked.

I've posted a number of times about how I love my Tica.....10', medium action, heavy, spinning.....rated for 2-8 ozs.......though it loads up best at about 3-5.....

Originally bought it for a chunking rod, but use it mostly for throwing jigs in the canal and plugs in the ocean....and it serves all three purposes well.

Used it all this season, no issues with the guides yet......cost me about $63..... smile.gif