Roosters on a fly?

Rate this topic

Sergio

I had a talk today here in Mazatlan with Jack Samson from Saltwater Fly Fishing Magazine and Cam Sigler. They came here for the Rolex Billfish Invitational Flyfishing Tournament and a common friend introduced me to them. They sure got my interest when the talk was about fishing for roosters. Jack caught a 31 lb rooster on a fly in 1988 that it is still standing as a 16 lb tippet IGFA world record. I caught several dozen fish last year over that weight (with my surf rod of course smile.gif)and at least two of them were hooked at no more than 15 ft away so I listened carefully to all he said about getting them on a fly. I asked Jack to advise me about the perfect outfit for this proyect and he promised to send me an e-mail with the details.

I will not post much here because I have little to say about this type of fishing, that is relatively new for me, but I will be closely reading what you experts say.

Buena pesca con mosca!

Sergio

Sergio, I think that its great that you're looking at pursuing Roosters with the fly rod. Even small Roosters in the 5-10 b. range will be quite an adversay and the corvinas will be a blast. I'm certainly not an expert on either Roosters or fly fishing but I've definately given Roosters on the fly a lot of thought. When I get back to Baja they're one of my targets and I planned on doing some of it via the fly rod.

As to gear, especially from the surf, I would think that an 11 wt. with plenty of backing is in order. A minimum of 200 yards of 30 lb. test and I would opt for 300 yards. With the new fibre lines capacity won't be a problem. Certainly a reel with a good drag system. Flourocarbon leaders are a must and a clear fly line would be beneficial.

In spin or conventional fishing for Roosters a fast retrieve is used so the fish don't get a good look at the lure. With fly fishing this isn't possible. However the advantage in fly fishing is that flies can be tied which literally breathe in the water without a retrieve and look extremely lifelike. Llures dont' have this ability to imitate a living thing without movement. As to fly selection I would try patterns which were very realistic. Patterns which look alive while sitting still. What are the Roosters dominant bait fish in your area? What are their colors and shape? What is the water clarity in your area? I know that Baja was extremely clear. Is your region similar? When you get into fly fishing I'm sure that you'll be tying your own flies in no time. The flies and techniques used in our clear water regions for stripers will be of great benefit to you. Definately check out both Ray Bonderews book "Stripers and Streamers" and Ken Abrames "Striper Moon". There is a lot of info available about stripers. Some of the best realistic patterns are by Bob Popovic. Also patterns using Unfair Advantage materials.

Jon... I already posted a message related to this below your post in the other forum before I read this message.

I think that if we work as a team I can tease the rooster getting him furious with a hookless Ranger. I can bring the rooster from +50 yds easily all the way to your casting distance in a similar way that billfish are teased. They get so mad when they can not grab the Ranger (sometimes I do this on purpose just to excite them) that they will grab your fly with gusto.

I have a friend that flyfishes for sailfish and striped marlin and will gladly let me use his 11wt rod before I get my equipment. Cam Sigler mentioned that not retrieving fast enough is the biggest problem when fishing for roosters with a fly rod. But I agree with you that a fly would look much more realistic than any of the lures I use. Mullet are the preferred Rooster bait Jon. The color is silver/gray and the water clarity varies a lot from very clear to greenish clear more often.

I have already some stripers books but not the one about streamers.

So much to do and so little time!

Thanks for your help.

Sergio

In case you did not see the other post Jon. Roosters eat large mullets, but they also eat smaller 8 - 10" mullet with gusto. I think that a fly like the ones used for sailfish will do.

Please remember that the teasing will bring the roosters closer, but distance is also important. when teasing billfish from a boat I guess that you can keep the billfish interested for a longer time. In the roosterfish scenario I am thinking on, we might need a longer cast than the one used for billfish from a boat using teasers.

Nice project!

Sergio

Sergio,

From what I understand about Roosters they are fairly picky. That's why live bait is the most common method of catching them. The following is all my opinion/ impression of fishing for large Roosters. When artificials are used a high speed retrieve is usually used so they don't get a goo look at it. Billfish flies tend to be attractors and won't stand up to the type of inspection they'll get from Rooster. its going to take flies which the Roosters think are living things. I'll get you some whiich breathe. What are the predominant colors of your Mullet. Is it possible to send a photo? Ken Abrame style flat wings will handle the size requirement and should do the job.

Jon... Interesting comments. I do have some great color illustrations of mullet. I will scan them and send them to you in a couple of days.

Please send me your postal address where I can send you some plastic shads that I use on our weakfish.

Buena suerte!

Sergio

Sergio,

The address is

Jon Shein

10 Bank St. # 50

Rockaway, NJ. 07866

The scanned photos will be great. Everyone who's seen the flat wings in the water has been very impressed. I'll tie some to imitate your mullet.

I saw the first rooster of the season yesterday Jon, it was a fish around 30 lbs and as usual chasing mullet. I saw several other chases that I am almost sure that they were roosters also. I was not carrying fishing gear because I stopped by in a rooster spot on my way back from a meeting in another city. The place where I was standing when I saw the rooster dorsal fin about 60 yds out is my casting rock. That rock is a flat rock that has some figures carved by ancient indians. You will like that place when you come here.

I will be busy the next five days but will try to keep in touch.

Sergio

• 3 weeks later...

Hi JonS, I got yor e-mail... very interesting. I will answer it tomorrow in the afternoon as in this machine I dont have your address.

Here is the info. on the two species of mullets that roosters eat more frequently in my area:

#2 Striped Mullet Mugil cephalus

Olive on back, silvery on sides, white below; 6-7 brownish stripes on side. IMO the fins are not as yellow as in the illustration but more grayish-yellow.

#4 White Mullet Mugil curema

Olive to bluish on back, silvery on sides, white below; a small black blotch at the upper base of the pectoral fin; anal and pelvic fins yellowish, other fins whitish

Striped%20and%20White%20Mullets.jpg

The roosters are here!, more on that later smile.gif

Sergio