Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HaysWalt

A NY-RFA Chapter in the makings

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

If any of you NY fishermen/women have any interest, an attempt is being made to set up a NY Chapter of the RFA. From another site:

Last night I met with Gene Kray of the RFA, John Mantione, President of NYFTTA (NY fishing tackle and trades assoc.), And Capt TB, and Tony Bogan of the United Boatman's Assoc to discuss what it would take to get a chapter of the RFA here in NY.

Talk about getting your eyes opened.

Bottom line I would like to know if there any interested individuals who would like to meet in a few weeks who would be committed to attending meetings about 4 times a year. Basically it would be set up a Board and Committee Chairmen. Once that is in place then we would meet with Jim Donafrio who will go over everything that would be expected from the board and committee.

These people can be and should be from all over the Island, North and South Shore both in Nassau and Suffolk and also people from Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, and Westchester. Meetings would be moved around to different locations so that all members have a chance to attend at least one or more meeting if so desired.

The NY chapter would also have its own website for notifications and updates.

The Board would consist of a Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer.

Committee's would be Membership, Legislative, Media, and Programs.

For those that think that is a salaried position it is not at all. It would be people that would like to donate there time in organizing and running a NY Chapter and helping fight for our rights as recreational fisherman.

If any one interested please PM me with your e-mail address and phone number so we can get the ball rolling.

For those of you that think having a NY is going to have an immediate change in the way things are today, think again. It will be an uphill battle and will take some time and effort, hopefully will have good results.

One more thing, the members that belong to the RFA now and are assigned to another chapter will automatically transferred into the NY chapter, which would give us between 6 and 700 members or votes if you will to start this and are welcome to become part of the board or committee's.

I guess if you're interested, the best bet would be to contact Jim Donofrio at jdrfa@cs.com

Best of luck to those trying to set up this Chapter! icon14.gif

Please join us for the

RFA New York City Fundraiser

Hosted by

Mr. Stephen Sloan

At

The New York Anglers Club

101 Broad Street

Manhattan, NY 10004-2401

Thursday, October 21st, 2004

Cocktails begin at 6:00 p.m.

$100 per person, $175 per couple.

RSVP by October 13th, 2004

Auction items and prizes such as fishing trips, rods, reels and original artwork!

Limited to the first 80 respondents

Contact Jim D at the RFA if interested.

I'm not sure if this formally validates a feeling that the RFA is too heavily influenced by the industry or you've got the facts wrong here.

Assuming you have it right -

If I want to support the industry, I'll shop at a local tackle shop and/or hire a boat - which I do, and often.

Thats like ATT asking me to donate to their own lobbying efforts.

Whats best for the industry is not always whats best for me (or the fish).