Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caranx

GLoomis Surf Rods

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I would like to have some information regarding these 2 rods if there's anyone here who owns any of them:

1) SUR1266S Length: 10'6" Power: 6 Pieces: 2 Spinning

2) SUR1267S Length: 10'6" Power: 7 Pieces: 2 Spinning

What is the weight the first one can really cast (it is rated 1-4oz)? Is it a strong rod and light enough to cast all day with her ?

As far as the second one it weights like a stone (26,50 oz) but maybe when you fish with her is not too bad, can you use it for 6/8 hrs in a row ...?

Thanks in advance for your help

Ciao

Caranx smile.gif

Hey Caranx,

I have a 1266C. It is light and I have not gone above the 4oz. limit, highest around 3oz. It is a beautiful rod. I think it is a great rod for throwing tins and plugs, it loads very nicely and gets great distance.

With that said, ask some of the guys for a compare and contrast with a lamiglas. Your given the same great warranty (some say better) and there maybe one which is more specialized for your interest.

(Misread)

[This message has been edited by Newby (edited 11-05-2001).]

Great blanks, LOUSY furniture.

The cheap guides (except for the SiC guides you will see on the GLX series) leave much to be desired.

To date, I have purchased (and subsequently SOLD or traded mind you) a dozen store-bought factory G. Loomis saltwater sticks. On every rod, I made short work of the guides (some using mono, some using braid).

Caranx, I strongly suggest you just buy the blanks and have a competent rod-builder build the stick for you.

Just my $0.02.

-FWW

Been fishing the 1266S since 1996.

Never use 4oz. but throw 1oz. to 3oz. all day long. I am totally pleased with it + consider it as close as you will ever get to the all around surf rod.

The loomis 1266 built conventional is my all around plugging and eeling rod. IT will throw a 3.5 OZ pencil popper way out there. It will throw a bomber (7/8 OZ) too. Nice rod.

For the amount of money that one of these rods will cost you, I would seriously consider a custom built on a Lamiglas blank.

Gary Loomis built his reputation as a premier fishing rod maker on a simple concept-produce the lightest and strongest blank(s) possible... In the SUR line of rods, the company for the most part accomplished this goal, especially w/ regard to rod weight. The one exception to this observation though is the SUR1267... Even though the 1267 has plenty of backbone (rated to 8 oz), it is out of synch in today's market of lightweight premier fishing rods in its class. Like you said, it weighs like a stone at some 27 oz...and believe me, this rod gets heavy after a long night. And this rod is overrated at 8 oz. IMHO...6 oz. is more like it. In comparison, Loomis' Heaver 1448, which I use a lot for 8nBait fishing, is 12' long and rated to 14 oz... Albeit, this Heaver too is overrated, it still weighs considerably (and amazingly) less than the 1267...

I have not purchased a SUR rod in few years...they were suppose to move over to the better Fuji SIC guides...don't know if that happened. Also the SUR rods have that hard rubberized handle called "Safety Grip"...the stuff will turn your hands a little raw after a long night...best wear gloves w/ it...

There was some breakage problems w/ the 1266...not sure if that was a design defect or just a bad batch of rods a few years ago. As w/ all the SUR rods, that mate black finish comes via the removal of the spiral wrap after the blank was cured. The process at G Loomis supposedly went too deep into the graphite material, causing the blanks to weaken some...hence the breakage problems, which were notorious on the 1448 Heaver and to a lesser degree on the 1266.

Gary Loomis sold out to Shimano a couple of years ago...and the change may not be for the better... Loomis blanks for saltwater fishing are no longer available for custom rod building and the factory rods such as the SUR line are no longer spined during assembly from what I have read of late...

img00011.gifimg00013.gifimg00012.gif

I've got the 1266s, and I think it is awesome, I like it just as much as my custom Lami. I did have a cracked guide once, and I have no idea how that happened. And it just looks cool. Oh yeah...and it is also light as poop and I can cast all night with no problem.

[This message has been edited by googinator (edited 11-05-2001).]

Thanks a lot for the infos guys, as far as I can see looks like GLoomis is changing a bit the guides policy, I have noticed that a lot of new rods carry either better Fuji Hardloy guides or, like my new 3 piece Escape, Fuji SIC.

Ciao

Caranxsmile.gif

Rumble-Fish,

Are you saying that G. Loomis blanks are NOT AVAILABLE to the general public and/or rod builders anymore? What suit decided this? Mr. Goldberg is this true?

JC

Loomis is going through a reorganization. They are completely revamping their rod blanks.

Loomis blanks will be available to the public, however the number of models available will be significantly reduced. I believe their Saltwater Hybrid line will be replaced by the new Pelagic series.

I watched Dubs' 1266 break just above the ferrule this spring. Don't know how long he owned it or how many hundreds (maybe thousands?) of fish it beached before that.

All Star also makes a nice 1266 blank. Little stiffer in the tip than a Loomis, at least the way mine was wrapped. Lot cheaper, too, and All Star supposedly has one wrap of S-glass material in the blank for added strength.