Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xsk8tr

Newb fisherman - looking for advice

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hello there,

My wife and I will be in Avon the Aug 28 - Sept 5 then back again possibly in Oct. We are very new to the fishing thing and basically know nothing and are looking for advice on where to start. About five or six years ago, prior to our visit to the outer banks, I bought two 8' BWS 1100 Shakespeare Ugly Stiks and a Okuma TP65 and TP40. We used them a couple times on the surf and pier and they have been in storage since. The TP65 has monofilament and the TP40 has Braid and both were set up by a tackle shop where I live, that has since gone out of business.

I am interested in trying some surf fishing, but will probably do pier fishing as well. I have been reading quite a bit on this forum and getting some ideas.

Questions:

Should we concentrate on just trying to catch one type of fish? If so what type of rig?

Replace line on both reels or will the Braid be ok?

What lb of test line should the be replaced with?

sinker type and weight?

Any other hints or comments that will help us are welcomed.

Thanks

Well, I'm down in NH now and Spot are in the wash in abundance as well as a puppy drum and a flounder every once in a while. It could be better in a month, I don't know. Maybe some of the locals can help ya out when they see this.

As for the Spot, I make it as simple as I can. I'm basically using a drop-shot rig with a piece of shrimp or bloodworm. One after the other today. Good luck!

Search SOL for "reading the water", that will help in finding fish in the surf.

Avon pier should be great fishing at that time, if the wind blows from any eastern direction.

View PostHello there,

My wife and I will be in Avon the Aug 28 - Sept 5 then back again possibly in Oct. We are very new to the fishing thing and basically know nothing and are looking for advice on where to start. About five or six years ago, prior to our visit to the outer banks, I bought two 8' BWS 1100 Shakespeare Ugly Stiks and a Okuma TP65 and TP40. We used them a couple times on the surf and pier and they have been in storage since. The TP65 has monofilament and the TP40 has Braid and both were set up by a tackle shop where I live, that has since gone out of business.

I am interested in trying some surf fishing, but will probably do pier fishing as well. I have been reading quite a bit on this forum and getting some ideas.

Questions:

Should we concentrate on just trying to catch one type of fish? If so what type of rig?

Replace line on both reels or will the Braid be ok?

What lb of test line should the be replaced with?

sinker type and weight?

Thanks

Hi xsk8tr, i'm gonna try to help you out a little bit. You can use these tips on pier and surf. Answer 1- You don't have to concentrate on just one kind of fish, the pic below shows the rig most people use and it catches everything. You can use it on the pier and in the surf.

Answer 2- Depending on how long it's been, i would probably change the line. I would buy 300yds of 20lbtest braid for the tp-40 and for the tp-65 i would get 17lb or 20lb mono. Personally, i like Ande mono but stren and sufix are great too. As for braid, try to find power pro or whatever the tackle shop has. Answer 3- Find a pyramid weight, it depends on how rough the surf is but i would get between 2-5 oz.525

this is called a double dropper rig. notice the pyramid weight. try to get some number 2 hooks. Eagle claw lazer sharp makes whats called a khale hook that works real well. Good luck on the trip and i hope this was of helpwink.gif

also, i forgot to tell you to use fresh shrimp for bait. If it has been frozen it's probably not gonna work to well. Remember, if you won't eat it maybe the fish won't eat it. If you see any, cut mullet works good toosmile.gif

My two cents:

For the first trip:

In the surf you can get small bluefish and spanish mackeral on top. For those, you want about a ten foot rod with a high retreive rate spinning reel, as the spanish swim very fast and you are working the lure as fast as you can. Stingsilvers are the lure of choice. Tie direct, as Spanish have great eyesight and are leader/terminal tackle shy.

You also need quite clear water, as they are sight feeders, and can't see the lure in silty/sandy surf. You can drive yourself casting to them in dirty water....you will see them jumping, and cast right in the middle of them all day, and not get a touch.

Anywhere along the beach, mostly at sunrise and sunset will do.....they are either around or they aren't, and it can change day to day. If there is an outer sandbar, then high tide is better, as they can't get over the outer bar at low tide. If there is no outer bar, then tide doesn't matter much. also, wind direction has an effect.....strong west or southwest winds blow sand in the water and make it dirty. NNW, North, Northeast, east and southeast winds are better.

As to bottom fishing, you might get some flounder or specks bouncing a jig and grub across the bottom. Short of that, bait fishing for croakers, spot, and sea mullet (kingfish) can produce (squid strips, bloodworms, shrimp), but that gets old fast. Okay if you have young kids and want them to catch fish, but as I said, I get bored doing that quickly. (Although sea mullet are quite tasty.)

Shrimp or mole crabs (sand fleas) may get you some pompano. For these (and even the croaker, spot and sea mullet) , you want to be right at the berm and in the wash......these bottom fish hang out right behind the inner breakers waiting for stuff to wash back down the beach. I often see guys trying to cast to Bermuda and catch nothing, and then I come out and just flick the bait out 20 feet and have a fish on in seconds.

Chunking bunker on heavier gear may get you some sharks or a large ray, if you are into that. If you DO get a big ray, expect to be spooled.......

On the sound, I am mostly fishing for specks, small bluefish, and summer flounder. You want light gear (maybe 7-10 pound test). I use the equivalant of a 7 foot Ugly Stick and a light spinning reel.

3/8 to 1/2 ounce jig heads in various colors, laced with curly tail grubs of various colors..(you can buy both loose for short change at Frank and Fran's in Avon)....cast, and jig, keeping the jig just above the weeds on the bottom. If you start snagging weeds, then ya gotta jig a bit faster..some guys use a straight slow retrieve, but I find a reel, twitch, reel, twitch twitch, etc. does better.

If you are keeping, it is best to bring a net with you on the soundside.....

And there is always crabbing.......

Things change greatly by the time October rolls around, and then it is a whole other ballgame which I will leave for others to help with since I have no personal experience fishing there at those times.

View Postalso, i forgot to tell you to use fresh shrimp for bait. If it has been frozen it's probably not gonna work to well. Remember, if you won't eat it maybe the fish won't eat it. If you see any, cut mullet works good toosmile.gif

View PostMy two cents:

For the first trip:

In the surf you can get small bluefish and spanish mackeral on top. For those, you want about a ten foot rod with a high retreive rate spinning reel, as the spanish swim very fast and you are working the lure as fast as you can. Stingsilvers are the lure of choice. Tie direct, as Spanish have great eyesight and are leader/terminal tackle shy.

You also need quite clear water, as they are sight feeders, and can't see the lure in silty/sandy surf. You can drive yourself casting to them in dirty water....you will see them jumping, and cast right in the middle of them all day, and not get a touch.

Anywhere along the beach, mostly at sunrise and sunset will do.....they are either around or they aren't, and it can change day to day. If there is an outer sandbar, then high tide is better, as they can't get over the outer bar at low tide. If there is no outer bar, then tide doesn't matter much. also, wind direction has an effect.....strong west or southwest winds blow sand in the water and make it dirty. NNW, North, Northeast, east and southeast winds are better.

As to bottom fishing, you might get some flounder or specks bouncing a jig and grub across the bottom. Short of that, bait fishing for croakers, spot, and sea mullet (kingfish) can produce (squid strips, bloodworms, shrimp), but that gets old fast. Okay if you have young kids and want them to catch fish, but as I said, I get bored doing that quickly. (Although sea mullet are quite tasty.)

Shrimp or mole crabs (sand fleas) may get you some pompano. For these (and even the croaker, spot and sea mullet) , you want to be right at the berm and in the wash......these bottom fish hang out right behind the inner breakers waiting for stuff to wash back down the beach. I often see guys trying to cast to Bermuda and catch nothing, and then I come out and just flick the bait out 20 feet and have a fish on in seconds.

Chunking bunker on heavier gear may get you some sharks or a large ray, if you are into that. If you DO get a big ray, expect to be spooled.......

On the sound, I am mostly fishing for specks, small bluefish, and summer flounder. You want light gear (maybe 7-10 pound test). I use the equivalant of a 7 foot Ugly Stick and a light spinning reel.

3/8 to 1/2 ounce jig heads in various colors, laced with curly tail grubs of various colors..(you can buy both loose for short change at Frank and Fran's in Avon)....cast, and jig, keeping the jig just above the weeds on the bottom. If you start snagging weeds, then ya gotta jig a bit faster..some guys use a straight slow retrieve, but I find a reel, twitch, reel, twitch twitch, etc. does better.

If you are keeping, it is best to bring a net with you on the soundside.....

And there is always crabbing.......

Things change greatly by the time October rolls around, and then it is a whole other ballgame which I will leave for others to help with since I have no personal experience fishing there at those times.

First up, I don't know of any "tackle" shops that sell "fresh" shrimp. They all thaw frozen product that comes in 5lb packages with the warning "not for human consumption."

Fresh shrimp can be had at local seafood stores.

For surf casting for Spanish & Blues the majority of folks use high retrieve ratio spinners (3500-4000 size) on 9foot rods rated between 2-4ozs, casting Sting-silver & Glass minnow lead lures.

On the piers a 6-7.5 foot rod rated 1/2-3oz with fast spinners size 2000-3500 work well for most, casting jerk jiggers.

The short rod works in the surf & sound for trout & flounder, & Pompano in the surf.

The longer rod works for weight & bait for blues and other fish.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and comments. I do have several of the double dropper rigs that are a least five years old, some never used. Would the line on these still be good? Don't think we are ready for sharks and rays just right yet. Thanks again.

View PostHello there,

My wife and I will be in Avon the Aug 28 - Sept 5 then back again possibly in Oct. We are very new to the fishing thing and basically know nothing and are looking for advice on where to start.

Thanks

Glad to hear you and your wife are getting in to surf fishing...My wife and I have been at it for a few years now, and love it...

For the August Trip...

As many have already said, most of the fish you'll see in late August can be caught on bottem rigs with Shrimp, Bloodworms, and Sand Fleas. You will most likely find small Pompano and Mullet in the surf, along with the occasional Flounder and Trout in the holes. There will most likely be a Blue/Spanish bite off and on casting metal from the beach. Pups and Yearlings can be caught if you're in the right spot at the right time. Can always fall back on Sharks and Skates on cutbait redface.gif .

The fish are there...just need to find em!

I'm no master fisherman by any means, but we'll be down that same week and wouldn't have any problem helping out where we can as far as pointers and tackle. Look for my truck (Blue GMC Yukon with "OF2AVON" on the license plate and a Rack up front.

Good Luck,

Chris