Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vmw

Shimano Spheros 4000

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

As a beginner, I'm trying to learn spinning casting bait from a pier to catch some croakers or spots. Is Shimano Spheros 4000 good enough to do the job?

Also, want to ask is it too small to try for blue fish?

Thanks.

i could do that with 6 pound test hand line!

seriously that reel is more than enough

it should be ok even if a striper or bluefish decides to eat ur croaker or spot

Chesapeake Bay summertime pier fishing? Yes that's a good choice in my opinion.

A 4000 size shimano (or similar size from another brand) is a ideal size reel for a wide variety of applications and can cover most of your bases if you are fishing primarily in the bay. If you plan on expanding to surf fishing in the ocean it will be undersized for some of those applications.

View Posti could do that with 6 pound test hand line!

seriously that reel is more than enough

it should be ok even if a striper or bluefish decides to eat ur croaker or spot

Thanks for your answer. Is a 6'6" or 7' rod good for croaker and blue? Or should I try bigger one like 9' or 10'? Someone told me I should at least have a 9' for blue.

View PostChesapeake Bay summertime pier fishing? Yes that's a good choice in my opinion.

A 4000 size shimano (or similar size from another brand) is a ideal size reel for a wide variety of applications and can cover most of your bases if you are fishing primarily in the bay. If you plan on expanding to surf fishing in the ocean it will be undersized for some of those applications.

Yes. I will try pier or bridge first to have some sense on fishing. Species will be croaker, blue or maybe fluke/flounder (not sure if I'll be able to catch it). I once went to Delaware seashore and found people got tautog under a bridge with many rocks. Can I also try that with this shimano reel?

View PostThanks for your answer. Is a 6'6" or 7' rod good for croaker and blue? Or should I try bigger one like 9' or 10'? Someone told me I should at least have a 9' for blue.

6 6 or 7 foot rod should be enough (medium action 8-14 pound test line range)

i would probably put 12 pound test mono

will be a good fight if u have a bluefish over 6 pound on but it can be done

unless ur surf fishing

most surf angler prefer rods 9 foot and over

View PostYes. I will try pier or bridge first to have some sense on fishing. Species will be croaker, blue or maybe fluke/flounder (not sure if I'll be able to catch it). I once went to Delaware seashore and found people got tautog under a bridge with many rocks. Can I also try that with this shimano reel?

You won't find tog that far up the bay. In the rivers you'll get perch spot and croaker primarily. Blues and rockfish will be around depending on where you are. You'll need to go to southern maryland to find fluke in good numbers.