Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
canal-rat

EEE aerial spraying

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Just a heads up. Spraying is supposed to start from sunset to 2am tonight over SE Mass. I don't know how far south they are gonna spray but they are saying to stay inside while it is going on.

According to the state you are supposed to shut all windows, turn off all air conditioners (cover window units) & keep everything sealed until 6 am. I doubt most people will but I have to, the wife is 9 months pregnant!

View PostAccording to the state you are supposed to shut all windows, turn off all air conditioners (cover window units) & keep everything sealed until 6 am. I doubt most people will but I have to, the wife is 9 months pregnant!

That is just nuts....not cause you are supposed to do it (and certainly don't blame you for doing it), but because you have to........

Just what everyone wants to do on a humid and warm August evening.....shut off the AC and have the windows closed. More old folks may die from the heat stress than anyone ever will from triple E............

kooky.gif

Due to an inordinated amount of EEE carrying mosquitoes, Channel 4 reports they will be spraying Foxborough three times. Health officials recommend you keep your windows shut for 48 hours.

Yup, Postponed.

It kills ALL bugs... even the good ones. there won't be an insect in the air.

they did it 3-4 years ago, not a bug left. Wish they could just get the skeeters... Many birds rely on bugs for food

I cant beleive they are spraying poison on peoples heads and the only complaint is that you gotta keep your window shut.headscratch.gif

I remember when they sprayed Malathion in the 80's in So. Cal for the fruit fly and said that it wouldnt hurt anybody and then people noticed paint stripping off the hoods of cars and now read what they have to say about Malathion. Its nothin nice!

I understand that EEE is dangerous but maybe poisoning the intire area and most likely the ground supply is not the brightest, most thought out answer?!

Dont we learn anything from the past??headscratch.gifkooky.gif

View PostYup, Postponed.

It kills ALL bugs... even the good ones. there won't be an insect in the air.

they did it 3-4 years ago, not a bug left. Wish they could just get the skeeters... Many birds rely on bugs for food

Supposedly the 'Anvil 10+10' pesticide they plan to use targets adult mosquitoes. However, upon further research the stuff is toxic "to terrestrial and aquatic invertebrates (e.g., dragonflies, beetles) and to fish". cwm13.gif

I guess all small flying insects and other bugs that are around at night that come into contact with it are as good as dead?

They also recommend covering any small fish/frog ponds you may have.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2te...s&csid=Eeohhs2

If it were up to me I'd take my chances without the poison spray.

I'm curious why Bourne was not included in the full or the partial spraying.

Obviously because the Bourne mosquito count didn't warrent it but why.... especially when towns to the north and west ( Plymouth and Wareham) are on the spray list.

I'm thinking it's because of Bourne's wind conditions and land configuration.

Back when EEE first hit this area, the local TV news showed a woman keeping her kid in the house to play - she was afraid the kid would be bit by a mosquito and die. Then and doctor came on and said that more children would die in accidents in the house than by EEE - the kid was safer outside with the mosquitoes.

View PostI'm curious why Bourne was not included in the full or the partial spraying.

Obviously because the Bourne mosquito count didn't warrent it but why.... especially when towns to the north and west ( Plymouth and Wareham) are on the spray list.

I'm thinking it's because of Bourne's wind conditions and land configuration.

Joe, that's easy to answer.cwm27.gif

Like everything else in town, all the bad stuff stops at the bridge.

Less then an ounce of anvil per acre. won't see, smell it, just hear the plane. (and won't see any bugs the next day) Unless they are dead

1.5 to 2 million dollars it will costheadscratch.gif