Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
castinthesurf

top water

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

there are two things i want to point out. I am really new to fly fishing and I have no money to alot to it. I am using anything i can find around the house. I used a bluefish float for the popper.

FIRST ATTEMPT!!!!!!!!!! YA!!highfive.gif

Question: the hook projects from the middle of the popper and now I forsee a problem with the action? I really believe that it should be from the bottom? what do you think?

Have not tried it yet.

what materials can you find around the house to use?

It looks like hooking up will be a problem with the top one especially, take a razor blade and cut the bottom flat, should improve action and hook up ratio.

If you live with a woman check out their hair rollers or curlers, some have a foam section that may be able to be used. If you walk along the beach, look for small bouys, markers, etc that are foam, bring it home and cut up with sharp knife or razor blade, and cut to shape. The foam you find on washed up bouys can be great.

Hey Castinsurf,

You fishing Fresh or Salt ??? Either way if your tieing Poppers head to a craft store - you can buy a bag of Corks for less than 3 bucks along with a bag of feathers that will work fine for Bluefish & LMB poppers,

saltwater is my domain. i am focusing my resources on anything that i can find. so craft stores are not an option. my business suffered to colapse because people aren' spending money. no money for fun. i am tring to be resorceful.

i do have some ideas i will post a before and after picture. i did think it looked like a hook up problem too.

Road kill = Deer, Squirrel , Fox tails, Turkey feathers / you name it, you can find it on the road someplace / just keep a sharp knife, plastic bag & pair if gloves handy / But I know the Hooks are more expensive than materials

looks much better . And one more suggestion , they most likely will attract blues now but you can get a little more or a gurgling action if you take a small razorblade or pocket knife and make a somewhat of an indentation flies_7010DOLPHIN.jpg flies_7058CHART.jpg flies_7030_pencil.jpg give them a mouth smile.gif or atleast one to try it out . highfive.gif

The second set looked much better, they look like they will sure get the job done. I like to put eyes, and legs on my poppers though, and cover them with something to help protect them from fish teeth. I have not fished for blues...but maybe even epoxy wouldn't help the popper then.

depends on the foam , he said bobber foam so hard and a few smaller blues would strt to shred it but one big 8 #er would take it in one uncoated . Theres a video on youtube to make a fly pop and he uses a pipe to cut cricles out of flip flops , on that material it would just leave marks or squish the fly down some .