Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfstryker

Little help on set ups

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, this is my first post, and Ive been reading here for a while. I just had a beginner question for you all.

After going through a few of the cheap combos over the past 5 years or so (mostly to make sure I would stick with surf fishing), I've decided to try and get some decent equipment and be able to have a few set ups for different situations.

Currently I have a $100 Penn 9 foot combo that I got at Dicks this summer. Its set up with 17lb mono. I also have an Okuma T50 on a 6'6, I think, boat road, heavy action for sharking. Haven't used it yet but plan on yakking the bait out with it, or sending my little brother out on my surfboard with it....biggrin.gif

I want to have three set ups, my current shark outfit, a Striper outfit, and a flounder/lure outfit. I'm looking at a Daiwa BG90 or Penn 850ss mated to a 11' Tsunami Trophy for my main Striper outfit, and then just keeping the Penn combo for tossing lures and flounder fishing. I mainly fish the NJ coast.

Do you all have any other suggestions? Or better options you see? I dont want to spend too much either. Budget is up to about $200.

Thanks for suggestions guys, any and all information is greatly appreciated, and I hope I can add something to the forum in the future.

-Kyle

I hope your a big guy!

A 11' Stick & that Hugh reel will ware you out real quick if your planning on Plugging. Those reels weigh a ton.

For plugging I'd look at a 9 or 10' If price is an option look at the Tica line Great Rods for around $100.00 & maybe a older Penn Slammer,Cabo or Shimano in the 6000 size.

The BG 90 weighs close to 2lbs alone & the 8500 is no light weight either.

If you concerned about getting distance remember your going to have to have a lot of power to get the set up out there. That's just my opinion.

You may want to get a Conventional Bait Casting reel for throwing bait.

thanks, any suggestions on a conventional around the same price? Also I've never used one to cast before...don't think I'd have a problem but do they offer more distance over the spinners or less weight? thanks again for the replies