Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zabbala

Clamming on the North Shore

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I got some family (with 2 kids) coming to visit from Denver this week and one of the the things they want to do is go clamming. I have no idea where to start looking for info and I searched the websites of a few North Shore towns: Ipswich, Rowley, ... but came up empty-handed.

Can anyone provide me with some info on clamming up here? Cities that allow it? Permit costs?

PM me if you'd rather keep the info private.

Thanks

View PostI got some family (with 2 kids) coming to visit from Denver this week and one of the the things they want to do is go clamming. I have no idea where to start looking for info and I searched the websites of a few North Shore towns: Ipswich, Rowley, ... but came up empty-handed.

Can anyone provide me with some info on clamming up here? Cities that allow it? Permit costs?

PM me if you'd rather keep the info private.

Thanks

For Ipswich I think the licensing goes through the Town Clerk's office.

Here is the link to their page: http://www.town.ipswich.ma.us/town%20clerk/default.htm

If you scroll to the bottom you will see this:

Shellfish Licenses

• Resident recreational license: $30 per individual

• Resident family recreational license: $40 per family

• Resident over 60 recreational license: no charge

• Resident commercial license: $450 (Applications accepted annually between December 1 and February 28).

• **Non-resident recreational license: $150

• **Non-resident daily recreational license: $30 per day
** Non-resident permits may be issued to persons who are not residents of the Town of Ipswich but who are residents of Massachusetts.

It looks like you're from Mass so you may be able to get the "Non-resident" license but from what you said it sounds like your guests reside elsewhere so I don't know that it would be a good idea to bring the adults clamming with you if they are not Mass residents and can't get their own license...the kids may get a little leniency if you were to get caught but I wouldn't guarantee it as the town is very protective of its flats.

Here is some further reading for you: http://www.town.ipswich.ma.us/shellf...204%202009.pdf

Section 5 pertains to "Non-resident" permits.

Good luck!

buy clams from a seafood joint, place them in the sand at the beach of your choice the night before and then take them there the next day. break out the metal dectector and mess with them a bit. Report back, It will be funny, for us anyway.cwm27.gif

thats pretty cool,most kids want to go to six flags or something,i was talking to the bait store owner in hull,she said its a fedral,offence ,to take sea clams,i dont know about steamers.i would take them fishing like the outher guy said.

View Posti always see people clamming on both sides of the beverly salem bridge don't know any info but you can check it out, i can tell you how to access these spots though

Far as I know they are not clamming. They are digging for worms.

i've talked to a couple guys while coming/going to under the bridge on beverly side and one was clamming and the other guy was lookin for worms. I can't say what the 3-4 people i saw on a regular basis on the salem side near the power lines were going for. i would just see them digging every morning as i drove to work.