Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pumpdogs

Holding bottom in wind

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

too many variables to predict the weight needed. I usually throw 6 or 8 oz anything other than pan fish rigs. Usually during the summer months you can get away with 3 or 4 oz on most rigs but there are times when you will need lots more.

When its snotty out there you might not even hold with 12oz of weight. I have been out there when 16oz weight with a screw in it was rolling down the beach faster than I could walk with it.

all rods have a 'sweet spot' .

thats is where i start. if it doesn't hold , i'll add weight or got to a rod whose sweet spot is more weight ..

12 oz is when the bar opens beers.gif

South winds 10-15 today increasing to 15-20 this evening, then 15-20 SW with 4-5 ft seas. There is gonna be some current...I'm guessing you'll need AT LEAST 8s....

View PostSouth winds 10-15 today increasing to 15-20 this evening, then 15-20 SW with 4-5 ft seas. There is gonna be some current...I'm guessing you'll need AT LEAST 8s....

and if there is a lot of grass in the water you might as well as go home.

A lot of variables when figuring how much sinker weight to use in surf fishing an open beach:

1. A sustained dead or near dead west and/or east wind is generally of little concern for holding bottom...

2. A sustained strong north or south will probably require more lead...

3. Any other type of wind is a crap shoot...much depends on the wind speed...

4. Weed in the water is a problem, especially w/ a strong cross current...

5. Diameter of line is a factor...larger the diameter, the more drag from the current...

6. Braid line has no stretch...even though the line is thinner in diameter, the sinker will more readily break loose because of the no stretch.

7. Size of bait is a factor...a larger bunker head in a strong cross current will require more lead...

8. Even the pitch or angle of the line to the water is a factor, albeit not much...but a low angle will generally create a little more drag.

9. A very stout rod has a little less holding power, but this too is not a big factor...

10. Natural long-shore currents can also be a factor.

11. Fishing in a Nor'easter will be very problematic to hold bottom wink.gif...

12. Experience/experimenting is the best teacher...
General opinion is 8 oz will cover you 85% of the time...

Poppy

8oz is my limit although my rods will take 10s after that its ride the beach an look for a calmer spot or watch steve z fish... an count the number of flies on his flie catcher . if you look back on here an search.. poppy had a section on different style sinkers

clapping.gifbeers.gifbeers.gif or do this cwm33.gif

View Post or watch steve z fish... an count the number of flies on his flie catcher .

clapping.gifbeers.gifbeers.gif or do this cwm33.gif

cwm27.gif... i think the thread name should be changed to "what to do when weight isn't holding in Current"