Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pettypace

Sucks to be me.

17 posts in this topic

This story is a little embarrassing to tell. But I figure I got a cheap lesson and maybe telling it will keep someone else from paying more for a similar lesson.

A couple days ago I finally got my "new" kayak into salt water for some fishing. I was dragging two handlines, one with a tube and (rubber) worm and the other with a "Barramundi Mauler" -- a plastic deep swimmer with a mackerel paint job. I wasn't really expecting to catch any fish -- just trying to learn to paddle the damn kayak.

Flat water, no wind, and a nice day and I was just kind of enjoying my first fishing expedition from a kayak. Off in the distance I saw some guys fishing from a power boat and figured they might know what they were doing so I headed in that direction. When I got a little closer, I saw one guy in the boat was hooked up and figured there might actually be some fish around. Just when I'm figuring that, I notice something different on the handline with the Barramundi Mauler and when I grab the line, I realize there's a fish on the end. So I haul him in hand-over-hand and in a few seconds I have a bluefish, maybe 4 or 5 pounds, at the side of the kayak.

The bluefish is pretty well tangled up with lure, the front treble deeply embedded in his mouth and slightly hooked in the side with the rear treble. So I pull the sonofabitch next to kayak with the heavy mono leader and carefully grab him behind the head so he can't bite me. Then I reach over with my right hand and easily remove the back treble from the side of the bluefish.

The next thing I know, the fish has suddenly come to life and I have that rear treble deeply embedded in my right thumb next to the thumbnail. So now the bluefish and I are intimately connected. I've got him tight in my left hand, he's got the front treble deeply embedded in his mouth, and I've got the rear treble just as deeply embedded in my right thumb. Now what? It sucks to be me.

I figure I was lucky. The boat was nearby and I hollered for some help. They eased the boat over to my kayak and I held the whole works -- bluefish, lure, and impaled thumb up for inspection. One of the guys in the boat unceremoniously ripped the treble from the blue's mouth with a pair of pliers and tossed the fish back in the drink. Thankfully, the guy wasn't so anxious to rip the hook out of my thumb. But I did convince him to work the split ring around the hook so I could get the Barramundi Mauler off my thumb. The boaters then offered to tow me back a mile or so to my launch site. I sucked up my pride, adjusted my skirt, and accepted the offer.

Once back on the beach, I loaded the kayak in my van and drove home wondering how best to remove the treble hook from my thumb. I thought about going to the emergency room of a nearby hospital. But a friend had told me once about going there with a fish hook in his hand and all they did was yank it out. So I soaked my hand in some ice water while I had a couple shots of good Scotch and then yanked the hook out with a pair of needle-nose pliers. Surprisingly, yanking the hook out, hard and fast, was much less painful to do than to think about.

Looking back on it, I realize there was no reason to grab the bluefish in the first place because he was right next to me in the water. Normally, I might have had pliers in hand, but I didn't have a leash for them or the mobility in the kayak to reach them in my pocket. I don't suppose many of you are using handlines, but a small fish pulled in quickly on a handline is still full of piss and vinegar when he gets to the boat -- mad but not tired.

And now I'm wondering if you kayak guys fish alone or always with a buddy?

Handlines???headscratch.gif They have these new fangled things called "fishing rods" PP?? Curious what were you gonna do if you caught something huge on a handline??? Sorry you took the hook! Sounds painful! Lesson learned is right! I carry a 30 pound Boga grip in my yak for the blues......they also sell a cool lip gripper I have seen for about $6 that some folks I know swear by? Hope your thumb is better soon!wink.gif

Nice to fish with a buddy when you can but it is not always possible! I see you live in Duxbury??

Mostly alone and at night

Your story is a head scratch-er, i hope you do learn from it kooky.gif

Hand Lines- Buy some rods and reels

Remove trebles, they are the cause of most self hookups

Pinch back the barbs

Have a pair of long nose pliers or a hook release tool

Be prepared for self hook extraction

Make sure you have a current Tetanus shot

Here's my post the other day from another site regarding hooks. This is the second time in a couple years that I've buried a hook somewhere in my hand. It happens sometimes. I mash down the barbs on my treble hooks now. When landing bluefish, I always use a lipper. I can control them a lot better and they're easier to horse around when you have to. Enjoy:

Yup...skewered myself again yesterday. I was putting away my fluke rods in the garage this weekend and lost my balance as I was stretching to get one into the rack. A split second later, I had a 3/0 hook embedded in my ring finger. eek.gifSmackBottom.gif Thankfully this time it came out about 1/2" from the entry point. Since the barb was exposed, it was a simple task of clipping off the hook above the barb and backing the hook out.

For you morbid derelicts; sorry no pictures this time. I actually thought about it. roflol.gif

This should be a good reminder to make sure that you have some heavy duty line cutters or bolt cutters when you fish. I bought the smallest pair of bolt cutters that they had at Home Depot. I keep it oiled with WD-40 and packed in a zip-lock bag at the bottom of my bag. That bag keeps some of my essentials and goes everywhere fishing with me. The boltcutter went through that hook this time like butter.

One more thing...it's probably not a bad idea to keep up with your tetanus shots. I got a booster a couple years ago just because of this hobby. thumbsup.gif

View PostYou guys should search for the story, posted here a few years back of the guy that had a bluefish hooked to his balls.

No need - your executive summary is all we need.

View Postthe guy that had a bluefish hooked to his balls.

cwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

having a bluefish with trebles still attached anywhere near you is a BAD idea... especially on a kayak... you NEED a lipper & pliers on your kayak.... just remember to use a lanyard...