Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
night owl

Accidentally loaded a SuperStrike popper!

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

So I had an 11 fish day with keeper sized bass. I'm sore right now and my brand new SS popper took a beatin.

Last night while looking at the mojo on the plug, I noticed that my popper (2 3/8oz sinking) was loaded with saltwater! It still has an air pocket inside of it though. It just couldn't take yesterday's stresses! LOL!!

Now I'm wondering if the saltwater will corrode the internal metals and eventually ruin the plug. Also.... It's possible that my non-transparent SS plug might be loaded and I don't even know it. I guess I should weigh all my SS plugs to see if they weigh more than they are supposed to. But the weights of these lures vary from plug to plug even if they are the same size. So now what? What would you do???????

I'll tell ya what though..... This little SS now weighs 2.63 oz and It can fly!! I kinda like it!

The thru-wire is very likely stainless steel, and the barrel swivels won't corrode any fast inside the plug than they do outside wink.gif

Poppers--especially those like the Littleneck that have a side to side swimming motion under water--can be deadly under the surface icon14.gif

There are guys who throw the sinking ones at night when they need a little extra distance, and sloooowly crawl them on the retrieve.

Ya I though of that but I like it loaded. I'm thinkin about flushing out the saltwater and reloading it with fresh water. But again I dunno if internal corrosion will be an issue. I can stuff it with other elements other than water too.

But my main concern is the state of my other SS plugs that are non see through.

The problem I could see with draining it is.. if you do that you don't really know how the water got inside so it may fill up again. Best bet is to retire that one on a good day of fish catching and get a new one. beers.gif

If the water got in some way, it will get out the same way eventually. You can drain and refill it, or just drain and seal it, if you want. However, I'd wouldn't mess with a good thing and would just let it be.

I dunno where the water came in from. I'm just gonna let that plug be and monitor the internal corrosion.

However, I like what I've stumbled upon. I'm thinkin about loading some of my other SS poppers. The action is the same and I'm gettin a little further out.

View PostI dunno where the water came in from. I'm just gonna let that plug be and monitor the internal corrosion.

However, I like what I've stumbled upon. I'm thinkin about loading some of my other SS poppers. The action is the same and I'm gettin a little further out.

You made a sinking popper out of a floater. You know superstrike makes a sinking popper out of the box right? wink.gif The ones that have black eyes are sinking, green eyes float.

View PostDrill a small hole in it, drain, melt hole over with a nail or epoxy it over.

not to sound like a pain, but a buddy of mine gave me a warning about trying close holes on plastic plugs. He says it will make them swell, even explode. Becareful he has been making making plastic plugs for over 20 plus years.........al

View PostYou made a sinking popper out of a floater. You know superstrike makes a sinking popper out of the box right? wink.gif The ones that have black eyes are sinking, green eyes float.

That plug is a sinker. I stated that when I started the thread. Thanx for trying to inform me though.

View PostDrain it and then fill it with foam. 11 fish and your sore?

Yup I was sore today.

The powerful Canal current + lotsa big fish = soreness always!

View Postnot to sound like a pain, but a buddy of mine gave me a warning about trying close holes on plastic plugs. He says it will make them swell, even explode. Becareful he has been making making plastic plugs for over 20 plus years.........al

I've been loading certain lures that long myself, never seen it happen wink.gif