Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John O'

Cornmeal and ants.

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Always had a minor problem with ants on my enclosed front porch in the summer. It's not insulated, screened windows, the kids love to snack out there, not a big deal. But then I heard about cornmeal being used to rid them, apparrently they injest the cornmeal (they will also bring it back to their colony) - then when they drink water the cornmeal swells and they can't digest it, resulting in their demise.

I tried it a few weeks ago, put just a little pile next to a hole where I saw a few come in, and haven't seen one yet.

Gonna post this in Food and DIY Forums.

View PostOh..................wait.......................... ., I thought there was a dead body joke in the chalk bit, sorry my mistake

If an ant is murdered, how do they remove the body? headscratch.gif

Well I know lines of baking powder dont stop them, a remedy I tried from another site some years ago. The BP was said to neutralize the ants defense mechanism (their sting is supposedly acid based).

Chalk is supposed to be inert so I am perplexed as to why it works and BP does not. Could it be dependant on the type of ant? I don't no.....

View PostMy guess is chalk dust is abrasive and they don't like getting it stuck between their joints. Similar to diatomacious earth?? confused.gif

I believe chalk and diatomaceous earth (calcium carbonates) poweder will clog their breathing pores, and D.E. microscopically appears very spikey which is an irritant to mucous membranes.

View PostI believe chalk and diatomaceous earth (calcium carbonates) poweder will clog their breathing pores, and D.E. microscopically appears very spikey which is an irritant to mucous membranes.

Diatomaceous Earth, (DE) will kill any Insect with an Exoskeleton, like Ants, Fleas, etc. It accomplishes this by getting trapped in their joints and cutting into their Exoskeleton allowing Dehydration to do it dirty deed. 'Food Grade' DE is best, but 'Pool Filter' Grade will work too, though not as effective.

View PostIf an ant is murdered, how do they remove the body? headscratch.gif

That's good!biggrin.gif didin't expect to learn so much reading this thread, but learn i did! The chalk thing,- that's a new one, and the diatomaceous(??) eaarth- never heard of it!

Been watching the ants in my back patio; they're always trenching up the sand between the pavers. They gather some sand under the dripping hummingbird feeder; ball up the sticky sand globs then carry them away. And when i swat one of the yellow jackets that bully the hummingbirds from the feeders, i drop it in the middle of the ant's sugar collection area and they promptly attack it and drag it away. Cool.