Freezing Little Necks

Rate this topic

Mike

I did it by accident. I put them in the freezer to get really cold so they'd be easy to open. I remembered them about 5 hours later -- frozen solid.

Last night I pulled some out and threw them into a 1/2 inch of water to steam. When the water boiled I drained most of it, threw in some marina and white wine and cooked them until they looked done. For the most part they even opened when done like live clams.

Bottom line -- they were very good. Not exquisite like fresh clams but fine in sauce icon14.gif

"Depend not on fortune, but on conduct."

View PostTranslation....I had 4 martini's and couldn't feel my toes. beers.gif

Translation -- No I was not at your place. I went to the beach with my kids and forgot about the clams rolleyes.gif

"Depend not on fortune, but on conduct."

Told ya. They work fine baked too. Have to freeze them often as wife buys them without figuring out when we're gonna eat them.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

If I'm freezing quahogs for use later in chowder or for stuffing, or to keep more than I can use from spoiling in hot weather, I usually shuck them and freeze the meat. But I see no reason why you couldn't freeze them in the shell, if you had the space available.

I dig my own, but I hate to see anything that I take home from the ocean go to waste.

Mike--just let them sit for awhile and their abductor muscles will start to relax enough to open easily (the right clam knife is a huge help--I use a Dexter-Russell scallop knife). If they're fresh when you buy them, they can sit out for a few hours without spoiling--in a cool shady place. I keep them alive and edible for close to a month in the winter, just by storing them in my basement.

This is the scallop knife that I use:

If you can't find one close by, Morty the Knife Man's 3" clam knife also works well.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver