Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bruce in RI

Bite "leader" help (please).

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I found myself fishing for snapper blues on my second time out fishing this year (only times I was able to go) and they were small 3-4" but they can still bite off the fly since the flies are so tiny. So what I was thinking was to use about two inches of knottable wire as a bite leader. Any advice as to a better idea?

I have seen materials tied further back, wire extentions tied onto the fly, and I think even mono but I don't have the experience some of you do yet.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bruce

Thanks Formula, I know you are knowledgeable. I was just using the knotable wire bercause that is what I got on clearance, but it seems to rust once the finish is chaffed off. The other thing I was doing was using a snap because I was trying to use as little wire as possible. Keep in mind that my fishing time this year is very limited 45minutes (2 times) so far this year total.

Is there a wire that has a reusable end to it like a haywire or can someone tell me if you can fasion one yourself that will work?

Bruce

tackle stores, especially FF ones, will have small spools of knotable wire leader material. two brands: one for 18$ one for like 8$.

That or use like 50# mono......what wt. are you using? Or just use the biggest mono your Flies can be tied with, those snappers won't get through em....

You can get short wire with a real haywire on one end and a reusable twist thingy on the other end, theres a tiny plastic sleeve that protects the end you undo and put your fly on. They come in a few different sizes, I have used some I think were 4". They do kink pretty good after a few fish but blues dont usually mind. I will see if I can find a pic.

The wire you can tie knots in is pretty good too, Ive used that succesfully on jumbos.

Or you can just get some wire and haywire the flies up before you head out.

-Al

this is the reusable thing I was talking about. Orvis has em

18279197.jpg

We have lots of 1-4# Bluefish in the winter. I tie a tinsel fly way back on the hook and use a snap or even snap swivel on the end of the leader. Bluefish are not fussy. I usually fish for them a couple of times each winter so I don't have a huge amount of experiece.

The long shank hook is a lot easier on your fingers and on the fish because you can usually get hold of the hook.

I make a quick change wite leader that works well too. Will photo one in a few.

I guess I'm not too far off base, the Orvis thing is what I remembered seing before just couldn't figure who made it/what it was exactly.

I get the impression it's easier/better to tie a leader than to incorporate one in the fly tying process as I have seen some done.

Thanks.

For 3-4" bluefish you don't need a proper haywire twist. Just use a couple twists in single strand or a figure 8 knot in coated leader material to attach the fly.