Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yak

Shimano Calcutta TE

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I use a 401 TE for free lining King Mackeral with 12 or 15 lb mono from a Pier and love it. Casts good and with carbon drag it is ultra smooth.

I also use a 201 TE for sight fishing Pompano with 6lb mono and 1/2 to 5/8 oz jigs. Very good casting reels with smooth drags.

I have very few blowups with all my Calcuttas.

I also use a 251 and a 201 B for lite tackle Pompano and Hybrid fishing. The B series is also a good reel.

If you can spend the money go with the TE model. IMO

View PostHow did you kill it ?

Nothing high impact, casting plugs, jigs and metal at Stripers, Blues and Albies.

The thumb bar spool release froze up solid, to the point I pretty much had to punch it to get free spool.

I sent it back, ordered a Luna and have never had an issue since. That was a few or more years ago.

I have the 200 TE GT with the Power Handle added for fishing out of the kayak and wading flats...love it for Striped Bass, Albies, Bonito, and down south for Florida Flats Fishing, I can even work swim baits with it in the fresh. It's small and I can get my hand over it...It's a versatile reel, especially with the Power Handle added for more cranking power. For larger striped bass, the power handle makes a big difference then that little stock factory handle. The live bait handle that comes on the BSV model will fit the 200 TE GT and Curado 300 as well.

I did have the 400 TE. I sold it. Just a little too big, at least for me, for full time casting out of the kayak. I had it for Surfcasting and it served it's purpose but it was a PITA to rebuild in the beginning...I got lots of practice..biggrin.gif

It also took me a while to learn how to pull apart TE's and put em back together again. Because using on the kayak in a salty enviroment, the TE's, especially the 400, could only take so much abuse before it would have to be cracked open and tuned back up. Most of the time, completely rebuilt. For those that know the TE's, it can be a PITA to rebuild. Some tackle shops won't even touch a TE. If you send it back for shimano service it's usually 50 bucks plus your shipping to get it there. Been there once or twice, which did motivate me to fix my own reels. 60 bucks can be pricey a couple of times of season and then there is the down time. The "B" series is much easier for anyone to tune up and get it running again.

For me the 200 TE GT was worth the extra bucks. I can toss down to a 1/4oz with the right rod if I needed too because of the braking system and drilled spool. It's easy to control. The TE's have immediate access to the brakes, which I do like with the 200 since I vary lure weights in a fishing session.

If you like to set the brakes once and can live with a little less smoothness and you want an easy reel to service go with the "B" series.

I have it narrowed to the 200 or 400..Can anyone give me an idea of the physical size of the 400 compared to the 200? I want to keep my rig as light as possible..I like the features of the 400 but I dont want a brick either !

I have a 200te and use it for everything from fluke to stripers to albies. I also use it for float fishin steelhead in the winter.

I love the reel but with that being said they are a pita to take apart and the thumb bar release does require steady maintenance to keep smooth.

View PostI have it narrowed to the 200 or 400..Can anyone give me an idea of the physical size of the 400 compared to the 200? I want to keep my rig as light as possible..I like the features of the 400 but I dont want a brick either !

Why not compromise and get the 300TE?

View PostWhy not compromise and get the 300TE?

I have the 300TE. It is a great piece of equipment. As stated above, it's easy to take apart but, a PITA to put back together.

I have both & the TE is deffently a better made solid reel.

But seeing your Screen name are you fishing it from a yak?

If so you may want to get a Avet SX. They handle water a little better & you can pick up 2 for the price of the 400TE