Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Capt Hook

freshwater fishing reels

7 posts in this topic

I really havent seen any good combos, unless you get one of the ones Cabelas has which they pair up the rod and reel themselves. You can save a good deal on one of those. Personally, this year I picked up my first baitcaster and it is a Shimano Citica with a St. Croix Mojo Bass. Together it will run a little over $200, which for a baitcasting rod and reel is very reasonable. Many guys will also tell you to go with a Curado, however I cannot see spending the extra money for not many more features at all.

very good deals out there for some great baitcasters. for about $200 total you could get an abu garcia REVO STX reel + a quantum energy PT rod. i started off going for "quality" and that was a big mistake as I found higher quality stuff and realized that the 100-200 range is perfect. it's about when you notice a big differnee in quality. so now i have a pile of good "value" gear that i won't use again. I won't pay more than $200 for a rod or a reel though.

you need to tell us methods you use- Bait,spinnerbait, topwater etc.

you don't need to spend $200. Get an ugly stick (or one of the fenwick eagle rods) a reel in the $80- $100 range and save $50. Look at the daiwa exceler $80, shimano has one in that range too.

View Postyou need to tell us methods you use- Bait,spinnerbait, topwater etc.

you don't need to spend $200. Get an ugly stick (or one of the fenwick eagle rods) a reel in the $80- $100 range and save $50. Look at the daiwa exceler $80, shimano has one in that range too.

I agree with this except skip the exceler, trust me. I would say at least look at the shimano citica.

actually Shimano just came out with their new Caenan baitcaster. Retails for 89.99 and is designed at a LMB reel as well as an inshore reel. Might be worth looking at. Its on Shimanos website now

i personally hate the ugly stick - too bulky and the twist lock is awful. i guess it's ok for a first rod. it will get the job done for very basic methods like tossing senkos. i'll give you mine for free + shipping if you want it.