Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HL

Just found my perfect wading gear bag.

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Hi,

I took a shot and bot a Sagebrushdrygoods hip and deck bag for my trip to the Cape last June. I liked it a lot - a little big but I found it excellent.

So when I decided that I "needed" another small bag for the surf down here in FL I contacted Elaine and Robbie (owners of Sagebrush in AK.).

I just received the new bag and I love it. 11" X 8" #4.5". I can fit a big Danielsson reel, A big 9" X 4" X 2" Morelle fly box and a med fly box (or another Morelle for that matter - all with room to spare for other things. My point and shoot camera. It has two inside hanging pockets. The outside has a mesh pocket for things like tippet that you do mind getting wet. Their bags are made with craftsmanship you do not see today. It is much lighter than my hip/deck bag and I will prop use it this Sept back on the Cape. best is that all of their bags are totally waterproof. Air can't even get in or out. The zippers are wet suit zippers and are massive. A little stiff to use but you get used to it fast.

The bag is new for them - Elaine's design for herself - so it is not on their website.

Not cheap at $115 - but it is forever.

Thought I would pass it on for those that are tired of their gear getting wet.

BTW - it also comes with a waist belt if you wish to use it - I removed mine.

Also - what bis great is that when you deep wade it floats so there is no weight on your shoulder.

Herb

Nikoli,

Both - either/or.

It has a shoulder strap - my preference. It also has a removeable belt for waist attachment.

The advantage of using it as a sling (over the shoulder - is that when wading deep it does not buoy you up where you can loose footing - especially when it is all plumped with air. It is air and water tight. Using it as a waist pack can buoy you up in deep water. Also, if you are wearing a stripping basket waist strap, anything else around your waist is a p.i.t.a. because it is difficult to rotate the bag around to the front.

Herb

HL - This bag looks great! Am now using a small AquaSkinz surf bag, but everything gets wet, and it's overkill with too much Velcro.

I like to keep my pliers outside the bag for quick access. Is there an outside pocket for pliers, or just the outside mesh compartment? In your opinion, would the mesh pocket be a handy place for small pliers?

Thanks.

Snookfly,

I have my pliers in a sheath hung from my stripping basket belt. But to answer your question - yes - I think it would work.

Or speak to Elaine at Sagebrush and tell her your needs. I am pretty sure she will accommodate your needs with some sort of narrow pouch. Make sure, if she does, that the pouch has a drain hole at the bottom.

If you like the "D" ring approach, and you are a righty and will wear the bag over your right shoulder - hanging on your left side - you may want the "D" ring on the opposite side so you can get to it easier.

The pliers in the mesh pocket are 6.5" titanium. The one in the "D" ring is a cheap SS 8.5". I also tried it with my main pliers - a DR Slick 8" that is a little top heavy so the pliers don't hang upright. They sag to one side. You need pliers that have a lighter handle assembly.

Make sure you use a tether so you don't lose the pliers.

On second thought the pliers in the pocket may wear a hole in the mesh. You can insert them handle down. I tried it and it works.

Herb

Herb - I appreciate knowing this product is available or will be available.

Actually $115 for a pack of this variety isn't a bad price. Simms sells the Dry Creek packs for about $100.

I could go for at least two d-rings on a pack but that's just me.

Russ,

There was supposed to be 2 "D" rings - one on each side. But I guess they had no other place to put the logo.

If it bothers me too much I will send back for the other. They will just have to put it over the logo.

It is available. It is just not on the site page. Just tell Elaine you want a copy of her bag - or - the bag she made for Herb in FL.

Herb

Looks good Herb. As far as the pliers go I wear mine on the surf belt. If you don't wear a belt I'l sure you can attatch it to either the waist or shoulder strap. I made a nice lanyard out of an old Phone plug charger that can be attatched to your pliers , boga grip or any tool that you choose to wear. & sheath or any D-ring. As Herb said I'm sure they could sow a plier holder on without any problem.

attachment.php?attachmentid=171294&stc=1

Thanks for the pics and comments re: pliers. Will talk directly to Elaine/Robbie to order a bag. Their website says they're on vacation in August, catching plenty of fish I hope, so will take care of this when they get back.

Just "spoke with Elaine - email - this A.M. - well problast night - 4hrs difference. They are going to another island close to where they live (Keke) and hunting for king crabs. It must be nice to be in an area so wild - in the summer.

You will find Elaine very charming and eger to help.

Herb

Nikoli,

I think the two packs I have from them that rest on one shoulder are essentially the same as a sling. But their's can be worn lower to float on the water which takes all of the weight off of the shoulder when deep wading. I have the original WJ sling with the forward pack and aft compartments. I don't remember the model name but it is about 6-7 yrears old. It is not as comfortable as the over the shoulder strap arrangement that I have now. But isn't the principal the same??

Over the shoulder and the pack is behind you to free you up to see your feet, etc. You still have to shift both of them to the front to access your stuff.

Herb

Nick,

You are correct - it is exactly like a messenger bag. But functionally, I think, like any other bag that "slings" over the shoulder.

Nice feature is that you can wear it over your shoulder without being across your chest to give the chest a rest.

The pic is of my big hip/deck bag. but I wear it the same. Are you asking me to model the smaller bag?- I'm shy.

In this pic the bag got swung around a bit. Usually it is behind me. Neither bag interferes with casting or the stripping basket. To access either bag I just swing it to the front and usually rest it on the basket.

Herb

I have the Hip & deck bag, and like it. The zipper did o.k. with the Cape sand which I was worried about. I'll be sending it back to Elaine to weld on a set of belt loops on the diagonal, so that it will ride on my sling webbing.