best hook cutters to put in surf bag. brand and where to find them is appreciated

Rate this topic

dingalinger

Get a bolt cutter. I have had & still own the so called Best Pliers But if your trying to cut a hook you don't want to cut it with any pliers!

1st of all to replace the cutters on the VS which I own cost more than the Knipex

I love my VS cutting braid & mono but I just think if needed it may cut a hook but I wouldn't try. Just the leverage alone

Why carry an extra tool while Manley's function both as pliers and hook cutter!

ive used them to cut a couple hooks and they work, great only problem is that they suck at cutting braid so i do carry hansoms too, and keep a pair of bolt cutters in the truck now. if i know that i am gonna be walking a few miles from the truck i will sometimes also carry the manleys as not to ruin my trip

Question for the guys that said they are using the knipex. Can they be constantly exposed to the salt and not rust? Are they stainless? The cutters I use rust if exposed to salt forcing me to leave it in the truck

MSA #1273
LIBBA #1274

I've carried Manley's for years. I use them to cut hooks when I replace them on plugs. I've probably cut over 100 4X VMC 3/0s with the pair I have now and they are finally getting a little fussy about cutting braid. I also carry a cheapo pair of needle nose for the rare whole plug eater. Both need the occasional cleaning and oiling. Many good tackle shops carry the Manley's. There is a Craftsman leather plier sheath that fits them well for about $5

.........Elvis lives....2020

Question for the guys that said they are using the knipex. Can they be constantly exposed to the salt and not rust? Are they stainless? The cutters I use rust if exposed to salt forcing me to leave it in the truck

They will be covered in rust the first time you use them

Best side cutting pliers ever made for the surf are the nickel plated Sargent's.

I still use a pair that are over 60 years old and have cut an uncountable number of hooks.

[img=

Second favorites, use em on the kayak and in places like M where it's easy to lose things, are the Shimano Bluewater. They've held up to years of abuse extremely well and have cut a fair number of hooks as well.

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3730186/width/93/height/187]

Maintenance-wise they each get a drop of oil on the hinge at most twice a year.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

And for the car, the Knipex are great, but they're overkill, too much $$$

The HK Porter eight and a half inch bolt cutters from either Lowes or Homies (I forget which) are great ! I paid $16 for them way back.

I use them in my shop for cutting 4x VMC's up to 5 to put on plugs. Had em for many years and truly uncountable numbers of cut hooks and you'd never know they weren't brand new.

I wouldn't take them anywhere even near salt water though.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

had a few close calls already with getting snagged but nothing to bad. hopefully never happens but just in case it does, wanna be prepared. what hook cutters are you guys using and where do you get them and whats the best if anyone can recommend to get. thanks!

It's very good to be prepared for that. Side cutter style Sargents or Manley's. I would not be without them. The smaller size is compact and effectively cuts even the thickest hooks I have used.